1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WANTED: Drinking Partners.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jun 28, 2006.

1. joe

joe Active Member

I know the last line of the story. But you'll have to wait till the November issue comes out to read it for yourselves. What a cast of characters. Should be good.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Fredric Chopin wrote a polonaise.
    I'm writing about a Polonaise.
    I don't know Chopin. But I guarantee I had a better time writing mine.
    Only in the home state of Harold Loeffelmacher and the Six Fat Dutchman could a Canadian sip Scotch and observe Swedes while they watch Italians and Frenchmen kick a ball in the same place where the Germans planned to kick their ass. Some people would find it strange. Perhaps. I like to view it as me having fun in the best bar in the country; a Ding-Dong Merrily in Nye's if you'll pardon the pun.
    But I'm getting ahead of myself..."

Enjoy the hangover, Jonsey....

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not in Minnesota and I don't know Jones or Joe or any of you really, but I am drinking alone right now - like a good alcoholic - and am looking for someone to post with, does that count?

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yes

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Okay, there's the start. Next graf please.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Chopin wrote his polonaise to stir souls. My Polonaise was into stirring drinks. Chopin worked alone and would take weeks to compose his work.
    Mine took a weekend -- a lost weekend if you will -- and I had lots of help. Trust me, it took a lot to keep up with the Joneses....
    Where we tie together? They're both heroic... or at least surviving mine was...

Oh, how I wish I could have been there in person -- to drink a Grain Belt and see the dancin and old fat ladies serving....

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Last call... Nye's closes in 2015...
    http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2014/12/01/nyes-polonaise-will-close-after-65-years.html

8. joe

joe Active Member

Seems like yesterday when I met Jones and got puking drunk in his hotel room. Ah, the good times ...

"Dairy Queen," he wheezed.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Prime land for redevelopment.

What was disappointing is how the joint went sideways the last few years.

I may go there tomorrow just to have some Grain Belt and buy some coasters. machine head don't steal coasters.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Jones tweeted about this in his Friday story time.

Thread ...

Flip Wilson, Chef2, HC and 1 other person like this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ho Li Fuk

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My God. Epic.

Draft saved Draft deleted