1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want your MTV? Too bad ... it's never coming back

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Feb 10, 2010.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I remember when the Real World was the real world, not a chance to go to an exotic locale and have a hot tub clusterfuck with six other people.

The good old days.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"The Real World" never had even the slightest little thing to do with the actual real world.

Scripted, concocted and contrived from Day One.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Starman is right. I loved the first Real World...would tape the marathons and watch them over and over and over again. I am not sure I ever got as into a show as I did that one. I wanted to do all sorts of holy unmentionables to Julie.

And then Spin had a big cover story about how the whole goddamn thing was--as Starman notes--scripted, concocted and contrived from Day One. The producers were trying to hook up Eric and Julie, but when Rebecca started fucking a producer, she was written out, b/c that wasn't cool. Everyone tried antagonizing Angry Black Man Kevin, but Andre the rocker's drug use was ignored. (His band: Reigndance. I need help) Nobody really knows what Heather or Norman had to do with anything, but Heather did meet Larry Johnson.

Anyway, I haven't seen an episode of The Real World since then, and the day I read that article was the day I really became a bitter young hack. Fuck MTV with a rusty spork.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And the picture gets a little clearer.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh like it wasn't already in focus.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We got you pegged, Droopy.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sonofabitch. Guess you're still sore over the circumcision..............comment?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Teasing you about your medical ailment was like the siren song of Baldelli on draft day. Who can resist?

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Pure, unfiltered gold. I like all flavors!

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm still waiting for the Real World episode where they run out of alcohol.

11. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I always thought the same thing. How "real" do people act when they have cameras following them 24/7?

And what's that douchebag Puck up to these days?

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"120 Minutes" and "IRS' The Cutting Edge." I just wish they hadn't ghettoized all the cool stuff on Sunday nights.
    A couple of faves from that era:

Draft saved Draft deleted