1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want your MTV? Too bad ... it's never coming back

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If you weren't aware, MTV ceased being a music channel a long time ago.

Well, now they made it official. Here's the new logo:

[​IMG]

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/mtvs-big-change--981

I know YouTube has become part of our culture, but a channel devoted solely to music -- and, you know, stuff like videos, documentaries, live shows and BYH Classic-type flashback shows -- would be nice. Too bad today's generation would rather watch "Jersey Shore" and "Next" reruns. ::)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Truth in advertising, a mere 10 or so years after the fact.

Does this mean the VMAs will finally, mercifully cease to exist?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Good.

I haven't watched 15 minutes of MTV in 15 years, since the channel was corrupted and then consumed by the cancer of goddamn fucking imbecilic reality shows (of which everyone associated should have hot bullets pumped into their skulls).

I'd be ecstatic if the cable companies would just dump it out of the basic/expanded basic tiers, and make it a premium channel. Get it off my channel dial.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Martha Quinn weeps, and I'm here to console her

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nina Blackwood would weep if her tear ducts weren't yellowed over by second-hand unfiltered Lucky Strike smoke.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Has it been only 10 years?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only MTV I've watched in the last 15 years was the Will Arnett Sex Tape.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4f551b0252/will-arnett-human-giant-sex-tape-from-human-giant-and-will-arnett

I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER!

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's why they launched MTV2. If you'll look at their schedule for that channel you'll see videos from 4 a.m. to 8 a.m., then reruns of the MTV dreck the rest of the day.

So that network is totally committed to being Music Television.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Imagine waking up to this beauty every morning.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I couldn't tell you the last time I've seen a music video of any kind on any channel. It's probably been at least 4-5 years.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

After Michael Jackson's death. That's about the last time I recall seeing a significant amount of videos.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If half the people who complained about the lack of music videos on TV actually watched music videos on TV, then the entire cable lineup would be made up of music channels.

Nobody watches video channels. They keep getting tried and fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted