1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want to work for Bob Woodward?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WazzuGrad00, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

See, I find this quote interesting... For someone who has covered pro sports as long as you have, why would dealing with a politician be any different or harder than dealing with someone like Parcells or Belichick?

I'm not disputing this, because I can interview Michael Jordan without blinking twice, but I'll be at games and get geeked up when I see a C or D-list celebrity.

I can interview David Stern without giving it a second thought, but if a contestant from Survivor is on my flight, I'm calling my friends...

2. Woodstein spoke at my college during my undergrad days and were a big reason I got into the business. If I was relocatable to DC, my app would already be on his desk. Too great an opportunity not to take a shot. If anybody is wavering, I say go for it. And good luck. Lucky SOBs.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mizzou, what I meant was my political views are decidedly outsiderish. Washington decision makers can do great harm. Belichick and Parcells can only lose games when they're wrong. Muckraking would be OK, I guess, but Woodward's gig requires taking the bozos he covers at their own high opinion of themselves. I couldn't.

4. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

One deleted requirement: Must be able to read public opinion polls.

5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

That's always been my problem w/Woodward. Most of his books lately are basically stenography to the powerful (though I hear his most recent is an exception). He's kind of the ultimate insider journalist. Now, if Seymour Hersh were seeking an assistant...
    Still, I'm sure this would be a fascinating job.

6. sheos

sheos Member

Who's Bob Woodward?

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Yeah, really! I mean, is he really good on deadline? Can he write a gamer while taking 2-3 game calls at the same time?

If he's so good, how come I've never seen him on Page 2?

Draft saved Draft deleted