1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want to work for Bob Woodward?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WazzuGrad00, Dec 11, 2006.

1. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Now might be your chance (From journalismjobs.com)"

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Part two:

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll bet this is a very interesting gig.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I am nowhere near qualified for this job, but I wish I was. It sounds like an excellent opportunity.

5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I'm sure this goes on quite a bit, and while it may be a bad comparison, wasn't this Rick Bragg's undoing at the NY Times - having a grunt do his dirty work and then slapping on a byline like it was his own work?

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think most of these kind of guys (Woodward, Mike Royko, etc.) have assistants/leg men kind of people. Ricky's problem was that the grunt did most of the work.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And this gig has what to do with sports?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anyone here good enough to work for Bob Woodward?

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Anyone in this business (sports or otherwise) who isn't fascinated by this posting -- at least in the slightest -- might very well be in the wrong line of work.

I've got no desire to apply, but it's still a great read and a window into the inner-workings of big-time journalism.

In other words, it's probably not for you, boo-yah.

10. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

You're right, Tarheel. There should be moderators for this message board to make sure there....wait, sorry, hold on, I'm getting an urgent memo....Right.

(There used to be another board connected to this one, newsjournalists.com, but no one ever went there, so it was dissolved. So get over yourself.)

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pros: Job would be fascinating beyond belief. You would ipso-facto become a major Washington insider. I'm sure your phone calls would always be returned.
    Cons: This would be like joining the Mafia without the good food. I'm sure the contract includes omerta to the 13th degree. It could be a little frustrating learning all kinds of great stuff then passing it on to one's boss who may or may not use it in a way you found appropriate.
    Powerful people make me break out in hives, so this isn't a job I could or would do. But a sportswriter wouldn't be a bad pick for Woodward, actually. At least none of us are likely to be star-struck by the Washington elite. We cover people our fellow Americans actually admire.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I was five years younger and single, I would be all over this... (I'm not suggesting he would actually hire me...)

Woodward is the reason I wanted to be a journalist. I'm guessing the same holds true for a lot of us between the ages of 30-40...

Draft saved Draft deleted