1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want to cancel your subscription? Let me put you on hold.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Apr 20, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, 11 were hired from the Rocky. And from people I talk to when I tell them I used to work there is that it's not, as you say the individuals who wrote for the paper, but the actual paper itself. The format. The flow. The whole thing put together. And that the Post is just different and they won't take it.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here is the Post promotion.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That makes sense to me. When I lived in a two-newspaper town, the feel was so distinct and the differences so apparent that switching from one to the other would have been like changing allegiances from the Yankees to the Mets or something.

It wasn't individual writers, who jumped back and forth. It was the mindset and everything you cited. That's what was lost.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I had the Washington Post delivered to me for 9-10 months, free of charge, after canceling my subscription last year. I was stunned it lasted so long.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've been a Sunday-only subscriber to my large daily metro here in Central Florida for a couple of years. Three weeks ago a charming lady from their circulation department called to thank me for my business and, as a way to show its appreciation, it was adding a Wednesday and Friday paper to my service at no additional charge. Two Wednesdays and Fridays have come and gone since then and the driveway is still empty.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

I seriously doubt that's an official policy. Just sounds like they don't have any staff in the office to take the calls. Poor customer service sure, but poor reporting by Gawker as well. I don't see one attempt by Gawker to fact check this person's claims. Yes they seem to have documentation of all this, but wouldn't it have been nice for the blogger to call an editor for comment or something before printing this? These are pretty salacious allegations. Oh wait, it's the future of journalism!

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Fact check? On the Interweb? Horrors!

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I think this is common practice. I've heard of a more than a few papers that do this. Funny thing, about 10 years ago the much talked about Denver Post did this to me. Then they tried to get money for the papers they sent me after the subscription ended. A good bitching them out over the phone ended the issue. Now I'm sort of surprised they didn't send it to collection. I think circ departments are kind of shady in general and always have been.

Draft saved Draft deleted