1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want to break the law? Go to Contra Costa County

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 23, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/21/BAK9176EGO.DTL&tsp=1

Misdemeanors such as assaults, thefts and burglaries will no longer be prosecuted in Contra Costa County because of budget cuts, the county's top prosecutor said Tuesday.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Shoplifting?

Hmmm, this could get interesting.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Assaults are misdemeanors? Simple assaults, I'm assuming. Wow.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good to see they're not abidcating ALL of their responsibility:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you fucking kidding me? How the fuck can a public official just turn off the lights like this? And if the county ever does get its budget right, do they seriously think they can suddenly start prosecuting this stuff again? Once you go through that door, there ain't no going back.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm also wondering how long before they throw the book at some shopkeeper or home owner who blows away some meth head during a robbery or burglary.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good point. some addict breaks into home/store, steals a bunch of stuff, police won't act. So next time, the owner goes postal and blows the punk away with his own gun.

Now what a mess you have on your hands?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this is just a power play by the D.A. Other department can bitch and moan about cuts, services they'll no longer provide, class size going up, people they'll no longer help and its white noise. The D.A. does it and people feel threatened. It's really a joke because Contra Costa County isn't exactly a poor county. It has a few rough areas, but mostly middle to upper middle to upper class.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Great. That county will be in flames by the end of the month.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet, I've been wanting a new flat screen TV. Make it out the door and it's all your's.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

WOLVERINES!

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Even if it is, that D.A. needs to be fired and/or prosecuted himself. By telling the criminal element that they'll get a free pass on damn near everything (oh, wait, they'll consider prosecuting such faux pas as DUI and manslaughter if they're in a good mood), you're clearly endangering public safety. You know, the thing this guy was hired to protect. Not only that, but it makes the police completely impotent and puts a target on their backs. I'm guessing he won't get the coveted PBA endorsement if he makes it to his next re-election campaign.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

This screams of a power play, as previously mentioned, but I agree it endangers public safety. Criminals who hear the news might not be checking the internet every day to see if policy has changed.

Things like this make you wonder where on earth the money goes. Sales and income taxes are through the roof out in Calif. and this is what we all get for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted