1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want to be a journalist in Michigan? Get ready to apply for your state license

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, May 28, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/28/michigan-considers-law-license-journalists/

Speaks for itself.

...You need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a journalist.

:eek: :eek:

2. CR19

CR19 Member

Re: Want to be a journalist in Michigan? Get ready to apply for your state licen

This freaking law is VOLUNTARY? What idiotic journalist would consider putting themselves through this if they don't even need to be registered?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, consider the source (both of them).

Anybody refusing to apply would immediately be assailed as having "something to hide."

4. CR19

CR19 Member

Re: Want to be a journalist in Michigan? Get ready to apply for your state licen

That's a good point. Still, you would basically be paying the government for better access to officials (through licensing and application fees). I remember when the Washington Post tried to sell access to reporters through some type of reception, and there was an uproar from the journalism community. I can't imagine this is any different than that, except that you're switching the roles.

5. Isn't there some sort of "licensing system" -- for lack of a better term -- in the UK?

6. CR19

CR19 Member

There's nothing right now in the UK, if I'm not mistaken.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

How exactly is a state that's hurting for money going to pay for regulators to check out these reporters?

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Well, I can't meet the first two stiuplations. Maybe I'll just say I'm not a journalist, I'm a shit disturber. And what does a newbie do if he/she hasn't won any awards yet? What a load of bullshit.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Exactly.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Patterson is a tool, and that's putting it kindly. Part of his district is in our paper's coverage area. He refuses to talk to us because we reported a while back how he'd bully people and treat them poorly. He's a big, intimidating blowhard who is trying to take swipes at the media before he's term-limited out of office in December. We're not the only media outlet the buffoon has taken swipes at.

This is the same guy who also recently proposed a bill that would require a deposit on purchasing newspapers, just like pop/beer bottles/cans are regulated in Michigan. OK, pal.

December can't come soon enough for this clown.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bruce Patterson is still in office?

Draft saved Draft deleted