1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Want medical coverage? That will be $25, fatso."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Aug 22, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Have you ever eaten sugar-coated carrots?

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'll have you know I'm eating pulled pork as I read this thread. Where did that quart of bourbon go? And, honey, fetch my pack of Luckies in the foyer.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good for you giving the little lady all that exercise. Bravo.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've been trying to gain weight for 10 years. I dropped to about a buck-fifty after my brother died and I haven't been able to pack it back on. So, I'm trying it the old time-tested way. I'm drinking beer.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Full disclosure -- I work for a health insurance company

People complaining that they have to pay $25 for health insurance -- regardless of their physical condition -- need a good hard slap across the face with a rake.

I agree that health insurance should be run more like car insurance. The only reason it isn't is because it's mostly funded by companies. But that's a trend that's starting to wane. More companies are seeing the value in health savings accounts and other more employee-empowering options. There's a good chance we'll see more "medical home" type programs, ones where the patient and provider work collaboratively with a cadre of health coaches and other staff, popping up across the country.

One thing I'd like to see happen is states or communities requiring smokers to carry health insurance if they want to buy smokes. If states can mandate helmets for motorcyclists or car insurance for drivers, then health insurance for smokers makes sense. If you want to increase your chances of lung diseases, then don't expect me to foot your bill.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Could be worse. They could tell you you're on your own.

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Well, no shit.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Or a funny one....

Or a likable one....

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It wasn't my idea.

If you read the article, Alabama is going to discriminate against people whom they consider unhealthy i.e overweight and fine them.

That is a punishment, no matter how you might want to spin it.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Count me somewhere between The Big Ragu and JR.

I can see all sides. This is a topic about which I'm concerned and aware, for a number of reasons.

While there can be and does need to be more personal responsibility taken by everyone regarding their lifestyles, the unforgiving and black/white arguments of many on this issue isn't the way to go.

There are many contributing factors behind obesity. Personal choice is a significant one, to be sure, but that certainly isn't the only reason/explanation for it, or the only enabling influence or cause of it. And it has to rank as one of the most complicated conditions, and definitely is among the most-difficult-to-solve/treat long-term out of all the preventable problems in existence.

To imply that obesity is simply a matter of hard-and-fast choices, with no psychological and/or emotional and personality and self-image factors involved -- just like with the eating disorders that are being given a pass in this discussion -- would also be patently wrong.

All of these things are part and parcel of why this issue is so prevalent, and why it is so difficult to overcome in any secure, lasting way.

Don't judge lest you be judged. The day may come when you suddenly begin putting on weight, almost no matter what you do. The day may come when you may develop a medical condition -- even something like diabetes or high blood pressure, despite all your previously healthy years -- and find yourself with something that needs continuing coverage.

And Jay, your complaint about how all you get out of medical coverage is a couple of dental cleanings a year is ridiculous. You've been fortunate, but no, that's not all you're getting. It's not even the most significant thing you're getting.

What you get is peace of mind. What you get is protection in case something happens, in the future, even if nothing is going on now. That's how insurance works.

To use the car insurance analogy, I can't tell you how many times I've lamented about how I wish I could drop my car insurance because, gosh, it's expensive, and, you know what, I haven't had any tickets or accidents in about 20 years, and boy, I hate forking over money every month for what, in my case, seems like nothing all the time. But have I gone ahead and canceled my policy, and just taken my chances with Lady Luck for a while in the interests of saving a little money that, frankly, I could really use?

Um, no...because you never know when you might need the insurance. And when you need it, you really need it. (And, just to head something off at the pass, this was true for me even when auto insurance wasn't mandated by law).

The point is, the same thing applies to any real medical problem and to medical insurance.

You don't have to pay for it. You could go without it. But for your own protection, or perhaps, that of your family, you're choosing to carry it.

Just another personal choice, and all that, I guess.

11. agateguy

agateguy Member

If you mandate an obesity surcharge, where do you draw the line?

Do you stop at the slob who wolfs down two Whoppers, a dozen cans of Coke, and two bags of Doritos and chases it down with a DQ Blizzard?

What about the guy who was that slob and realized he was headed towards diabetes and death and decided to change his lifestyle and get control over his health? What about the person with a physical problem that makes it almost impossible for them to lose that weight without medicine or, possibly, bariatric surgery?

People point to BMI as the indicator of who's fat and who's not. But BMI might label NBA or NFL players, as fit as an athlete can get with minimal body fat, obese because they're 6-foot-4, 275 pounds instead of 6-4, 185. Should that guy have to pay the obesity surcharge?

The more I think about it, the more I think this is a bad idea. Some people will need the kick in the pants that the surcharge would give them, but there are a lot of better ways to encourage healthy living.

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Weight seems like an arbitrary measure here.

I'm 6'2", 280, which makes me a big, fat guy.

I also have a total cholesterol number of 107. I would have to gain 25 mg/dL of bad cholesterol to reach the BOTTOM of the goal range.

My blood glucose is well inside the normal zone (75 mg/dL, reference range is 65-99).

Blood pressure is within the recommended range as well.

My doctor (who I see once a year for a physical) told me I'm among his five healthiest patients.

So I guess that means I need to be charged $25 more than anyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted