1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Want medical coverage? That will be $25, fatso."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Aug 22, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bacon up that sausage, boy!

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Hey, fatty! I got a movie for you. "A Fridge Too Far."

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"Dad, towel rack."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Quality.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

'Tis no man.

'Tis a merciless eatin' machine.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

"Mmmmmm. waffle run-off"

My problem with stuff like this is that I wonder where we draw the line. I have a skin disease calle porphyria. While there are varying degrees of it, what it means to me is that I am allergic to the sun. If I spend more than a few minutes in the sun, I will burn like I was in a fire. I wear long sleeves, gloves and a hood that covers my face under a wide brim hat if I am driving or going to be outside for very long.

While there is no hard data, they know very little about my condition. The doctors think I may be more susceptable to certain cancers. Should I pay more for insurance? I have already been turned down twice for life insurance this year (well turned down once and quoted an incredibly high premium from the other company) Should my health insurance cost more because I might end up with more claims as I get older?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. KG

KG Active Member

Sign me up because doggonit I want something sweet tonight, even if it does go straight to my rear end.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, punishing unhealthy people is the way to cure the healtcare problem.

It's one more facile attempt to solve a social problem with a hammer. For futher reference, cf: The War on Drug; pretending that preaching abstinence will end teenage pregnancy; that three strikes and you're out represents some sort of enlightened justice system.

The obesity probem is far more than one of those tired old cliches about personal responsibility. You can start to lay the blame on large corporations who manufacture and market this crap. Maybe, like tobacco, there should be tax levied on all demonstrably unhealthy food which could go into real programmes promoting healthy eating along with some sort of regular phys ed programme at the school level. That'd be a start.

The puritanical finger wagging that goes on around here sometimes when it comes to social policy issues is astounding.

And I'd bring up universal health care--which has been debated more often than Mike's sex life--but that's an absolute waste of time because sure as the sun rises tomorrow, someone will chirp in about "socialized medicine".

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

$25 is not too much to pay to live high on the hog.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How do youi know they're living high on the hog? Maybe they're genetically disposed to being overweight. Maybe they have an eating disorder.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are the first person I have ever heard suggest that. Unique idea, I guess.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've never seen a fat vegeterian.

Draft saved Draft deleted