1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want better, more creative writers? Ban spelling!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I dismissed this initially, but then I remembered Boom is perhaps the most creative writer we have on this board. So it has to work!

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070214/NEWS0105/702140837

Eye uhpresheeight whut tha teechers our uhtempting too dew hear, butt creeightivity und speling ourn't mewtwoallee xcluesive.

UPDAIGHT: Lenk uhbove naught werking akneemohr. Hear's a bettur wone.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070214/ZONE09/702140837/1008/NEWS01

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The problem with this thinking is that there are so many words whose meaning is changed by the addition, drop or change in just one letter.

And for those of us who know how to spell, trying to decipher misspelled words actually takes longer.

This screams so much of "it's too hard so we're not going to do it."

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hack, if you think Boob is "perhaps the most creative writer we have on the board" you have been drinking way too mcuh.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Sarcasm is the first to go, isn't it. :D

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I work with a former English teacher. That article sickened her.

6. I'm a former English student, and that article sickened me.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My eyes hurt trying to read what Freelance wrote.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It made perfect sense to me.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Spelling is so overrated.

Edit: That probably woulda been better if I had butchered the spelling on those four words. "Spuhling iz so ovurraated."

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

As a person who speaks English, that article sickened me.

How in God's name do these administrators have jobs?!

The pussification of America continues.

And I weep for the future.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

How do they have jobs? Because you can do anything and get away with it.

Don't feel like going to work today? No problem, just skip. Walk in the next day like nothing happened and you're all good.

Having something more important to do, like purchasing a dirt track racecar, instead of covering your assignment for work? No problem. Skip the assignment, you'll still have a job tomorrow.

With the exception of the few people here who have been canned for posting as work, I'm convinced you can do anything at work and get away with it.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

But Agate, I'm specificially talking about these "educators" and "school administrators."

This doesn't even make sense. For four consecutive years, would you tell a kid that 2 + 2 = 6.

Better yet, would you want your kid learning to spell INCORRECTLY for four years?! Or being told the above math problem is CORRECT?

Honestly, this just blows me away.

Draft saved Draft deleted