1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want a Veronica Mars movie? Just kick in $2 million

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 13, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd pay a good amount if they bring back Deadwood. But they better do it soon. Al Swearingen is like 100.

2. JackReacher

What was/is the target demo for Veronica Mars?

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think the fact that isn't an easy question to answer explains why the show wasn't a commercial success. When my wife first suggested watching it, I thought it was going to be bad. Some show on the WB about a pretty little blonde high school girl and her equally pretty classmates, no thanks. I'm sure the teeny boppers who tuned it to watch some show about a pretty little blonde girl were like, "film noir, what the hell is film noir?"

Network mandated stunt casting such as Paris Hilton or contestants on America's Next Top Model didn't really help.

So target audience? It could have been people that loved mystery/film noir or people who like shows about pretty, angsty teens or somebody who wanted to watch one of the best father-daughter relationships ever on TV, but there wasn't ever really a good marketing hook.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

Gotcha. I always assumed (maybe incorrectly) it was a show aimed at teenage girls given the cast and the channel it aired on. But I've never seen it, and I don't know anyone personally who has.

But it seems to have a decent following among the males on this site, which surprised me.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The father-daughter relationship really is phenomenal. Easily one of my favorite parts of the show.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How different is it from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, really? Again, I've never seen it, but it always seemed to me to be similar to Buffy without the supernatural. And everyone I know who loves one loves the other (and really, I might be the only person I know who has seen one but not the other).

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I never liked Buffy The Vampire Slayer as much, but I could see the fan bases crossing over. Like you said, there was no supernatural element to Veronica Mars. Veronica Mars didn't have the highly choreographed fight scenes either. It was kind of like a police procedural, but with a tiny high school girl doing the work. Ryan Hansen, Ken Marino and others also added some nice comic relief.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Veronica Mars was appreciated by smart people. That rarely helps ratings.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Buffy is the better overall show, but I don't know that I like any of the Buffy seasons as much as I like season one of Veronica Mars.

There are definitely some similarities. The relationship between Veronica and her father is very similar to one between Buffy and Giles. Like Buffy, there is a usually a weekly case to solve and then a major case that runs through the whole season. Veronica does have somewhat of a gang, but it's not nearly the same as the Scooby gang. It's really just her and Wallace and then some help from Weevil every once in a while. Logan is a fantastic character, and one of the main reasons VM stands out. I don't think there's a 1-to-1 relationship between his character and one on Buffy, though I could see arguments for him being like one Buffy character.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Logan is fantastic. Someone needs to make that actor the lead in a good comedy.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is he a former vengeance demon? I love former vengeance demons.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How great is this publicity for Kickstarter?

Draft saved Draft deleted