1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want a Veronica Mars movie? Just kick in $2 million

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Via Alan Sepinwall: http://bit.ly/Z0j3Gc

Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas is looking for $2 million via a Kickstarter fundraiser in order to do a movie based on the show. Kristen Bell has signed off as long as they can work around her schedule.

The interesting part: The fundraiser already has $1.1 million in about five hours.

I've never seen the show, but it's near the top of my list of shows to watch. Does it lend itself to a movie?

Moreover, what do you think of crowd-sourcing as a way to fund movies?
  2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Double Down just threw in 5 million so they can do a sequel too.
  3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I posted this on the movie thread, but agree that there are some interesting things to consider beyond whether or not a Veronica Mars movie could be good. As for that, I'm not sure how good it would be, and think it worked better as a show than it will as a movie, but since I love the first two seasons, I'm likely to go see it whenever it comes out since it seems it will be made.

Crowd-sourcing could really work for something like Veronica Mars that has a built-in following and so people are more than willing to jump onboard. Not sure how well it would work for a wholly new idea.

Something else I was considering - are we incapable of letting well enough alone anymore? Family Guy was brought back after going off the air. We have a new season, and maybe more of Arrested Development coming out. A Veronica Mars movie at some point. It seems like once we get attached to shows now, people can't let them go away until we've bled it of all its possibilities.
  4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. There's still talk of bringing Deadwood back. There's still talk of bringing Fireflly back. It's like anything that we feel got unjustly shorted, anything that wasn't allowed to die slowly and painfully, must be brought back for that opportunity.
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kickstarter is pure genius.
  6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

STG jokes, but I'm pretty sure I'm in for $20.

Kristen Bell's post-VM career has been unjust. She's way better than what she's been offered/accepted. She had chemistry with every single character on that show.
  7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I like her pretty good in House of Lies. And Sarah Marshall was pretty fucking funny.
  8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

C'mon now sugar...bring it on!

Budget looks like it will be decent enough to make something worthwhile.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It was such a talented young cast, I'm surprised more of them haven't had more success post Veronica Mars. Kristen Bell has stared in plenty of big studio movies and is co-lead with Don Cheadle on a premium cable show, pretty decent career there. But outside of Ryan Hansen doing Party Down, none of the rest of them have been in much that I've seen. I guess Mac had a small part of True Blood last season.
  10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Amanda Seyfried did all right for herself (granted she had a minor role as a dead girl).
  11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wasn't really counting her. On the Kickstarter video, Rob Thomas made a joke about trying to get her back for the movie.
  12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

And they got $2 mil in 12 hours. I love that woman and I'm still pretty sure my wife picked our son's name because she is in love with Jason Doring and his VM character.
Draft saved Draft deleted