1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wanna cover a Tennessee scrimmage? That'll be 50 bucks, please ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NatureBoy, Apr 14, 2010.

1. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere else, but this one threw me for a loop.

Reader's Digest version: Tennessee opened a spring scrimmage to the media, on the condition those outlets dropped $50 to attend a Vols coaching clinic.

More info in the link below:

http://hardknoxsports.com/ut/tennesssee/coaches-media-art-making-extra-shekels/

I could write forever on this, but I'll just sum it up by saying, "Yeah, not cool."

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Eeeewww

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You mean something happened at Tennessee that they can't blame on Lane Kiffin?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind paying if they also slipped me a double sawbuck for attending their press conferences.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'd more rather spend the $50 and declare myself a Pulitzer Prize finalist. ;D

6. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

Highly misrepresentative:
    -----------
    OK, let's be clear on the whole $50 pay-per-view plan. The Vols' scrimmage was part of a coaches' clinic where UT's staff, a handful of NFL assistants and Southern football icon Vince Dooley spoke. Attendance at the scrimmage was included in the $50 fee.

Some media members were informed they could attend the coaching clinic — and scrimmage — for the going rate of $50.
    -----------
    Michigan, for one, doesn't let media into its coaches clinic at all.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are saying is being misrepresented. Seems to me that the school was offering special access to folks willing to pay for it.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You mean like when an assistant coach goes over the gameplan with certain season ticket holders before the game?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The way the handled themselves at final Kiffin presser gave The Vols the impression they were dealing with a bunch of patsy's that could be walked over.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unfortunately, for the most part, that's true.

11. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

Many schools have coaches' clinics. The ones I know only let people who are actual football coaches in, no media. Tennessee allowing media folk to pony up is actually a laxer policy than a lot of schools maintain, and this guy is complaining.

I mean, how many reports on how Defensive Coordinator explains tackling technique do you see in the paper? Zero. Do you think maybe there's a reason for this?

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The scrimmage should be open to the media if it's open to the public, even if the public is paying. Just like game day.

If the school wants to have a closed scrimmage, that's fine.

Charging the media to attend is unethical. Just as it would be unethical for me to attend only if they promised me a free jersey or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted