1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wambach breaks leg, will miss Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Jul 17, 2008.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Huge loss for a team coming off a disappointing World Cup.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=555744&sec=us&cc=5901

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Wambach breaks leg, to miss Olympics

Was just about to start the thread as soon as I got back to a computer. Huge, huge loss for the USWNT. Fuck.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This sucks. Wambach is my favorite player.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Same here IJAG. Not sure how they're going to recover from this one.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This is just terrible. This, on top of all the other bad luck they've been having with injuries, is the rotten cherry on the moldy cake.

I think they're almost certainly going to have to be exceptional at the back to have a chance at gold. They can do that, they haven't conceded a goal in their last six games, but this is a huge blow.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Any footage? Dirty play?

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Looked on YouTube. Nothing yet. From the story it sounds like it was just a collision.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Not from what it appears, just a bad collision. According to the game report, no-one was booked for the challenge.

If there is a positive to anything from tonight for the U.S., despite Wambach's injury, they still won. Natasha Kai has 12 goals in 15 games this year for them, and could be good enough up top to provide some goals in Beijing.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This makes me ill. Watching the game Brazil was clearly playing Wambach at a more physical level than everyone else, trying to keep her from getting the 100th goal. The injury play was not dirty, just aggressive. The referee was not frugal with the cards and warnings, so if a card would have been warranted it would have been given. Wambach knew right away, too. She just looked up and motioned to the sidelines. US didn't look great but didn't look bad. Set pieces were nice, as was ball control, they just couldn't seem to move the ball across the field after Wambach left. Chalupny looked good on defense.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This wasn't bad luck. Abby was being reckless. I know she was playing hard and that's her way, but once again, this silliness with milestones gets the better of a great player.
    There is no way she should have thrown that much of herself at a ball where the possibilities were limited. It was the same as Ribery in the Euros. You have to know when to put all of yourself into a challenge.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I didn't mean bad luck as to how the injury occured, per se, but add this to the injuries suffered by Leslie Osborne and Cat Whitehill and you can argue the U.S. is headed to China without three key players from their starting lineup.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I want Hope Solo to lead them to the gold to further embarrass the coach from last year's World Cup debacle.

Draft saved Draft deleted