1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walter Wright Thompson Father's Day Article

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Jun 13, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Wright deserves a Maker's Mark and coke in a short glass after that. Moving stuff. Great stuff. Powerful stuff.

It reminds me why I make sure to make it back to KC every summer at least once, to grab some Hi-Boy and take in a Royals game with the old man.

2. I still have my dad, thank God, but my brother died 18 months ago after complications from a kidney transplant. He was given a kidney from my 19-year-old cousin. We thought everything was going to be fine after the transplant. It was at first, but then it went horribly wrong. I won't get into all the details, but, basically, he suffered for 16 months. I never want to see someone suffer like that again. This piece makes me think of all the things I cherished experiencing with him. He taught me me how to golf, fish and play baseball. He influenced my musical tastes (his vinyl copy of U2's "Joshua Tree" is one of my most prized possessions). Most of all, I miss just talking to him. It's a tough thing to go through.

3. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

That's the kind of thing I usually don't like and I liked that a hell of a lot.

4. sportsed

sportsed Member

Next ad you see on an E-ticket will be the first ad you see on an E-ticket. It's pro bono journalism.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

God damn.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

God damn pollen

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Outstanding work.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

My computer screen is a 19-incher, so that helped me hide.

Gawd. That was incredible. :'(

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

That is awesome stuff, even for a person who has a hell of a time feeling anything similar for his own pops.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn Wright, why'd you have to make it so dusty in my office today?

11. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

I've never written a single story, I'd feel compelled to clip and save for my kid (who's a few months from birth). But can't you see Wright 30 years from now showing this to his?
    Wonderful story.
    Makes you wanna go call your dad.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Yep, that's good, good work. Shows what a difference heart makes in writing, just like horses.

Draft saved Draft deleted