1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walter Wright Thompson Father's Day Article

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

If you haven't seen it yet, it is a must read, especially for those of you whose fathers have passed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=fathersday

(I hope this isn't a D-B...I didn't see it posted already)

2. sportsed

sportsed Member

From beginning to end, that story wouldn't let me go until I finally shed a tear.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Hell, I've had basically no contact with my dad since I was a toddler, and it still got real dusty in the Webster office today.

4. Great piece of work.
    Holy lord, is he Southern.

5. Fantastic piece. I'm trying not to bawl like a baby.

6. Simply outstanding.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I lost my dad 12 years ago and stories like this remind me of the little things that he did. . . his version of the chipped beef on toast. When I hit the part where his mom meeting him at the airport it reminded me of the call that I got from my sister on the day my dad died and how I instantly knew what had happened (I knew he didn't have much time left).

Anyway, I love long pieces like that, especially when you can read for 15 minutes and not realize that you've been reading for 15 minutes. It also helped that they didn't break it into 5-6 seperate pages (so that they could get more advertising on it).

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That was an amazing story. I'm not ashamed to say it got a little dusty in my living room a few minutes ago.
    My dad is 58 years old, and he's in good health, but you never, never know.
    I'm going home to Iowa next week, and had thought about having a special day with him, going to the College World Series, an event both of us love.
    This just reinforced it.
    Great job by an incredibly talented writer.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wright's a good man and I know how much he loved his dad before reading the piece. I sent him some Livestrong bracelets a while back.
    As I'm learning during this here aging process, few things are more special than a great father-son relationship. I feel blessed to have one and I'm sure Wright's dad did as well.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ehh... my words that previously took up this space, and which I deeply believe, belong on another thread.

That was a beautiful piece of work. With quotes and everything.

Protecting the sapling from the stormwaters was the Earnie Shavers punch to my tear ducts.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

i read this story in a public place. i shouldn't have. :'(

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Damn. That's well-written and heart-felt.

Well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted