1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walter Cronkite "gravely ill"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boomer7, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Most interesting tidbit from the story :

"Dicrocco said Cronkite had been ill recently, but is recuperating at home in New York with his companion Joanna Simon, sister of singer Carly Simon."

Still with an eye for the ladies at 92. Good for him.

2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I was shocked by this thread as I thought that Cronkite was already dead. Now I don't know how to feel...should I be happy that he is alive or sad that he is sick?

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

no prob for me. you go. walter! 8) 8) 8)

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Interesting you should ask, considering the youtube clip above had numerous instances of, "there are reports the president is dead, but that's not confirmed."

Just because he said the war was unwinnable doesn't mean he was denigrating the soldiers. He was just speaking the truth; it was a criticism of our foreign policy, not of our troops. Big difference.

5. Boom_70

Really it was unwinable because of the battle plan. Clearly we did not stop the NVA on the edge. The NVA kept getting the corner on us. If we had shut down the HCM trail it's a different ball game.

6. Boom_70

Rumor is that Uncle Walter attempted a twosome with the Simon sisters and it proved too much for his 92 year old ticker.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Usually "companion" is code for Paul Simon. Guess not in this case.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time to edit the subject line, at the very least putting it in the form of a question?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Another update, this one from the former Philly Inky writer who originally had it screwed up. Apparently he is not well but not on his death bed:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/cbs/andy_rooney_others_update_walter_cronkites_health_119478.asp

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He's so vain, he probably thought this thread was about him.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Exceedingly well played, sir.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Could you imagine a conversation between Walter and Carly, with musical accompaniment by KC and the Sunshine Band?

Walter: "And that's the way it is."

Carly: "Well, that's the way I've always heard it should be."

Walter: "Weren't you listening? I said, and that's the way it is."

KC: "That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh."

Walter: "I'm too old for this shit."

Draft saved Draft deleted