1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walter Cronkite "gravely ill"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boomer7, Jun 18, 2009.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

He pretty much was the voice of the '60s to me when I was in high school/college back then.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"This is Walter Cronkite and I just want to say to Mr. Roosevelt E. Roosevelt: What it is, what it was, what it shall be..."

Hang on, Walter. A legend deserves a proper sendoff.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I remember reading a story where he said that, had he known he would live this long, he would have fought harder against CBS's then-mandatory retirement age of 65.

4. OK, not to make too much light of this because the man is, was and always shall be a legend in the biz, but does anyone else find humor in this statement from the link?

"CBS News executive Linda Mason, designated to speak on Cronkite's behalf, had no comment."

Anyway, best wishes to Mr. Cronkite and his family.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

He really was the voice of America in the '60s. An icon among icons.

That scene in "Full Metal Jacket" really does resonate, when Joker's CO said "and even Cronkite says the war is unwinnable."

Dude had some clout.

Get well soon, Mr. Cronkite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lot of Vietnam vets still hate Cronkite for comments he made during the conflict.

As someone said, the dude had serious clout.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If CBS is not saying anything, we basically have an unatribbuted story. How do you go with that? Every other outlet I've seen quotes that mediabistro entry. Not that it can't be right, but still don't we need verification? Lest we have a Mark Twain "the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

8. Well, yeah, there's that, too. However, I was referring to the two bolded items.

9. Mizzougrad96

Believe it or not, the tabloids are usually the most accurate reporting celebs who are dying because they'll print things the major news organizations won't.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've not seen anywhere what the illness is that he is suffering from.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Apparently the story isn't true:

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/more_names/blog/2009/06/walter_cronkite_recuperating.html

12. Mizzougrad96

The illness is called, "Being 92" :)

Draft saved Draft deleted