1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WalMart sues brain-damaged woman for medical expenses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 27, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nice call WalMart. Unfortunately, most people won't hear about you dropping the suit and will continue to think bad things about you. A much better play would have been to reach a deal where they recoup their medical expenses for consistency sake then have the Walton foundation draw up a check of $1 million for the family. But then again, you're PR team seems to be doing a wonderful job without my help.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes. I will be shocked if this doesn't come back to bite them in the future. With that many employees . . . someone will have something bad happen to them . . . and get paid by insurance . . . and then win a settlement. And when Wal-Mart tries to get reimbursed . . . someone will shout "precedent!"

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And yet, somehow, I think the company will survive.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's true.

It's also about 23 light years from the point.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The sad part is that I know some of Wal-Mart's PR team.
    I didn't read the WSJ article, but the first one, the spokeswoman quoted, she's actually pretty cool and was a helluva reporter back in the day.
    Last time I talked with her, she liked her job most days, the money and the fact that she was able to work from home. But I'd bet a Wal-Mart billion this deal made her sick to her stomach.
    Especially since it buried all the good news Wal-Mart had for its response to Katrina.
    With the hurricane rolling in, the CEO sent out a memo that said store managers were empowered to do the right thing regardless of the situation and that no one would be punished for their decisions.
    He said it would all be sorted out after everything cleared up.
    So, store managers drove forklifts through stores to get bottled water and food to responders. Broke down pharmacy safes to get drugs the doctors and nurses needed.
    I don't like Wal-Mart as much as anyone, but they don't always deserve the bashing they get.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

WALMART CONDONES LOOTING AND PRESCRIPTION DRUG THEFT FROM ITS EMPLOYEES!!!! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted