1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WalMart sues brain-damaged woman for medical expenses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 27, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe she can stand outside with a sign that says "Walmart made me pay 400K because I was injured in a car accident. Thank YOU for shopping at Walmart"

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Problem is that healthcare isn't quite comparable to buying a house. You can choose what house you buy and how much you pay for it. Not so much with healthcare. For many people, the options aren't as plentiful as they are when it comes to buying a house or car.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

That is true. But you still know the plan you have when you sign on the dotted line. At least you should.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is a sad story but I still blame the attorney. Total settlement was $700,000 and the attorney fee was $300,000. The balance $400,000 was put in trust in attempt to keep the money from walmart. The trust did not stand up in count.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If Wal-Mart had just taken the money she received from the suit, it would be reprehensible enough. Did they need to also go after an additional $51,000? A rule that says you have to repay full medical expenses no matter the size of the lawsuit is absolutely absurd. I don't care if it is legal. No company should do that. And it shouldn't be legal.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What was her alternative? Would she have been better off uninsured?

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Obviously not, because they paid her expenses until she recouped their money.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So how should she have handled this differently?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Frank Galvan would not have let her settle the case for $700,000

10. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

And don't forget ... a a $20 Wal-Mart gift card and a handful of 5 percent off coupons when she visits the store.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Let me see if I have this correct… A truck is responsible for a woman’s debilitating injury. Her insurance company covers it. She obtains money in a lawsuit from the liable party. Now, if we learn that there is a cap on the insurance company’s payout amount (which there likely is based on the insurance coming from Wal-Mart and the family’s mention of downgrading her care) everyone in America must pay. Wonderful.

I like that Wal-Mart has such a wonderful policy which puts in motion the likelihood that everyone in America will be paying the medical expenses of its employees.

Knowing that she was working at Wal-Mart, we can guess that her income and total savings were fairly low. So, not having insurance would have placed her on Medicaid right away and she would have received care.

In this situation, it seems like she loses out.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good advice for anyone below upper, upper management of the toilet in question.

Draft saved Draft deleted