1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WalMart sues brain-damaged woman for medical expenses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 27, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, she's shit out of luck because she earns $9.50 an hour and got hit by a truck. A top-notch lawyer has nothing to do with her sad life's circumstances.

Wal-Mart was under no obligation to take care of her, but from every perspective I can think of this was a bad business decision. It's bad for employee morale. And for what is really chump change, they could have garnered themselves a ton of positive PR, something they are often desperate for when they are being demonized for much sketchier reasons. And then there is just what boils down to most people's sense of moral right and wrong. The fact that they did the "wrong" thing will hurt their business. Stories like this make them look petty and small and that is the kind of thing that can drive away customers, no matter how good your prices are (that capitalism thing someone mentioned. Shoppers can choose to shop wherever they like, based on whatever criteria are important to them, including how moral they believe the store to be).

Most Fortune 500 companies have foundations and throw a little bit of money at philanthropic endeavors. For what amounts to relatively low cost, they try to milk some good PR for themselves. Unlike most of that stuff, which boils down to window dressing and photo ops, though, taking care of this woman could have had a real effect on someone in dire need, and the positive sentiments about Wal-Mart would have filtered their way to way more people than even a slick -- and much costlier --marketing campaign could have if they played it the right way.

This was just bad business. And there had to have been one cold bastard calling the shots on the decision.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Doubtful. They would have taken that and said it would be needed to cover future claims.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

According to what I heard on CNN last night, having this sort of thing in the fine print is fairly common at most companies.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There are plenty of laws on the books that are not enforced as written. If police arrested every person they saw committing a crime we'd be screwed.

Wal-Mart already has a PR nightmare with it's employee health insurance and this is just bad business.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I'm uncertain whether WalMart or the health insurance plan gets the money. Most likely it's the latter.

Subrogation of awards is common. If you are in a car accident and the other driver is at fault, your insurance company will pay your damages and then come to an agreement to be repaid by the other driver or his insurance company.

When the woman received the $400,000+ settlement from the trucking company, the purpose was to cover her medical and nursing expenses. These expenses most likely, were already being paid by her health insurance plan. As long at the health insurance company keeps paying for her needs, then it seems reasonable for them to have claim to her trucking company settlement. Now, if she reaches her lifetime maximum payout with health insurance, then MedicAid and/or Medicare should kick in since she had a total disability.

While it may bad PR, WalMart's actions may be appropriate. If this woman is left without care, I would gladly retract my comments.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What there should be is a statue of limitations law in which if an insurance company wants to claim the proceeds of a lawsuit, then they should have to notify the attorneys before the resolution of the lawsuit. That way, both plaintiff and defendant can take the insurance company's claim into consideration.

Of course, that would be common sense. The pols in Washington would rather just complain about greedy trial lawyers, ridiculous jury awards and protect the impovershed insurance companies.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Where I live, there's no-fault insurance for accidents, in which your company pays for your medical care and expenses until you resolve the lawsuit against the other driver. When you settle a lawsuit, that's your money that you get, minus attorney fees, court fees, etc. It's up to your insurance company to battle the defendant's insurance company to get reimbursed for the medical expenses.

A family member of mine had this happen to them, and his insurance company told him that he might have to testify in a trial if the defendant's insurance company wouldn't pay up. The companies did settle it.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ugh, how awful for this woman and her family.

The evil empire did not have to go after this woman. Just another reason I refuse to shop there.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised this didn't find its way into Michael Moore's Sicko. I'm not saying WalMart is in the wrong here, but shouldn't it have been the health plan that sued the trucking company to recoup the medical expenses?
    Now if we had a universal system, the lady gets treated, WalMart doesn't look like a bad guy and a lawyer misses out on a hefty fee.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This has been a long standing policy of Walmart. Interestingly enough the policy was proposed and developed by Hillary Clinton when she served on the Walmart Board.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

While Wal-Mart was within its rights to sue the woman did she really do anything wrong here or was it just bad luck?
    Would she have been better off not suing the trucking company? Would she have been better off going uninsured and relying on this type of settlement to cover her expenses?
    What happened to her, I'm sure, was not anything she thought might happen when she started working at Wal-Mart and when she signed up for their insurance policy.
    I really don't think she or her family made any choices here that would make any reasonable person say she deserves to be in this situation.
    If I were her husband and somebody said "Well you should have thought about this before (fill in the blank)." I'd punch his fucking lights out.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I feel bad for her and her family.
    I'm sure Wal-Mart could out of the kindness of their heart find a way to pass on this one, or even just take half of the settlement.

But it's like the argument over the damn housing problem. People need to know the contracts they sign and the situations they put themselves in. I don't understand why people think that shit doesn't matter, and then when something happens that they previously OK-ed they cry foul.

Still, you're all right when you say Wal-Mart wouldn't go broke losing this money.

Draft saved Draft deleted