1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WalMart sues brain-damaged woman for medical expenses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 27, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not just WalMart that has this in their health care plan fine print. But what I don't understand, is that I imagine the woman was putting in her own money for the plan as well and its not like WalMart brought the suit.

WASHINGTON — The family of a Missouri woman must reimburse Wal-Mart for nearly a half-million dollars in medical expenses now that the U.S. Supreme Court has refused to review her case.
    The court on Monday let stand a ruling by the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis requiring Debbie Shank of Cape Girardeau County to pay nearly $470,000 to Wal-Mart.

The appeal was the last legal recourse for the family of the 52-year-old Shank, a mother of three who was critically injured in a car accident eight years ago. She suffered a brain injury that took her memory and left her with very little ability to move or communicate. She has lived in a nursing home since she was released from the hospital.

"It's been kind of hard on us," Nathan Shank, Debbie Shank's 17-year-old son, said Monday when told about the court's decision.

Nathan Shank said that with her case in limbo, his mother already had lost a private caregiver and might be moved out of her private room in the nursing home.

According to legal documents, Shank's medical bills — totaling $469,216 — were covered by a health insurance program at Wal-Mart, where Shank worked nights stocking shelves.

Her family later settled a lawsuit with the trucking company whose driver was involved in the accident. After attorneys' fees and expenses, $417,477 was put in a trust for Shank's care. That settlement money, plus $51,739 that Shank will have to pay out of pocket, must be paid to Wal-Mart.

As is common for employer-sponsored health plans, Shank's insurance required full repayment of medical expenses if she received money from a lawsuit.

Daphne Moore, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman, said the company sued "out of fairness to everyone who contributes" to the plan.

"This is a tragic situation," Moore said. "The reality is that the health plan is required to protect its assets so that it can pay future claims for other associates and their family members."

The Supreme Court gave no explanation for its decision.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is right out of the playbook for how to garner good PR.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thank God Wal-Mart got the money so it can keeps its doors open another day.

4. That's right out of the playbook in how to do business in an unregulated economy when the government sides with a corporate oligarchy.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, it *is* an elected oligarchy.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

AND, THEY'RE OFF!

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Wal-Mart's board just wedged itself a little more through the door to hell.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I had the the Fenian-Ragu capitalism fight starting at 7 posts. I was wrong :D

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I don't even know where to start with this one.

Assholes.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And when did WalMart decide to go after the expenses? I'm sure it was after they discovered the she was going to get $400+ grand. If she would have received 5 bucks, they wouldn't have cared.

If I'm the family, I'd take the money out of the bank and blow it in Vegas. When WalMart wants the money, say, 'oops, it's all gone."

And yes, I'll release the hounds. Where's G.W. Bush and Bill Frist?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll bet she gets a nice gift certificate to the snack bar and a visit from the fucking smiley face for her troubles, so it isn't all bad.

Bastards.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's really just that simple.

Draft saved Draft deleted