1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walmart and health insurance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 21, 2011.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

As they should.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That's one thing smokers don't realize: Quit smoking and it's like getting a nearly $2,000-a-year raise, based on a pack a day at $5 per pack. The difference between $18,000 a year and $20,000 a year is significant.

I don't have any more of a problem with smokers paying more for health insurance than I do with people with lots of speeding tickets paying more for car insurance.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I tend to agree.

The weight issue is a much bigger one, and it will be interesting to see how/if/when that happens...

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Let me emphasize that I am not "blaming" the smokers here ... Lord knows I have my vices, but fortunately I've avoided that one. But man, that poor lady, I just think about how much that habit costs her (relatively speaking).

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Will never happen. Not on weight alone. There will on heart fitness and risks associated with heart attacks, but never on weight alone.

The court fights over the merits of any system you put in place would take decades.

With smokers, you either smoke or you don't. With fitness, you aren't either fat or not fat. There's a spectrum there.

A better standard and more likely system to raise rates would be high cholesterol levels and high/low blood pressure.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Are you going to quit?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It won't be long.

The free-enterprise Shiites are starting to seriously beat the drums for the complete privatization of the entire educational process.

I'm single, no kids. Why the hell should I pay school taxes?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Stupid people after that. Just dump them in the middle of the ocean by the tanker.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

What really bad: The Wal*mart policy sounds better than my roomate's policy. Who does she work for, you ask? Cigna, a health insurance company. And the plan they force on their employees is terrible.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a really good idea. You know that one of the roots of high blood pressure is genetics, right?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Have to agree with JR here. High blood pressure often has nothing to do with lifestyle.

Draft saved Draft deleted