1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walmart and health insurance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Walmart tightening eligibility requirements for health insurance and raising rates for smokers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/21/business/wal-mart-cuts-some-health-care-benefits.html?_r=1

Go to HR for your Medicaid applications.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Guess those $5 billion in net worldwide profits aren't enough for those job creators.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

shocking, shocking

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'll come for the fatties next.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Said it before and I'll say it again: When my wife PTed at Wal-Mart, they offered the best health benefits either of us (both with careers in media) have ever had.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

While I'm not a fan of Walmart's decision, this is the money quote.

As for this, I assume Walmart didn't include a few routine checkups per year in its plan? A $5,000 deductible plan is not health insurance as we know it. I've had outpatient surgery that cost less than that.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That's when you'll see the fight start. "It's my right to be as fat as I want!!!"

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Between the new premiums and the price of smokes on that salary, that woman may never eat again.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm trying to imagine how absurd it would be if people had to depend on a partial subsidy from their employers to buy police coverage or basic education for their kids.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Pretty soon, if you even get sick, they'll come after you, just like the car insurance people do when you have an accident.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

We're really getting to the point where you can't tell Russia and China apart from us. Sure we have private property, but it's draining most of America.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Seriously ... She makes $230 or so a week. A two-pack-a-day habit would cost you, I'd guess, $50 or so a week. That's more than 20% of your GROSS! What a hit to your standard of living!

Draft saved Draft deleted