1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wally Backman confronts ump and radio guy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Highway 101, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Wally's days appear to be numbered — in the single digits.

The lede: "It was Day Care Day at Anderson Memorial Stadium Tuesday, but it was after most of the small tikes had headed to the exits when the Wally Backman Show took center stage.
    And that was probably fortunate.
    Backman, the fiery skipper of the South Coast League-leading South Georgia Peanuts, was ejected from the game in the eighth inning after coming to the defense of player Doc Brooks, who has just been tossed by home plate umpire Tom Height for questioning balls and strikes calls.
    Backman dropped several F-bombs on Height........."

The best part: "When the game ended, with the host Anderson Joes claiming a 6-5 victory, Backman made his way to the Joes radio booth to confront play-by-play man Mike Janela about comments Janela made referring to Backman’s “childish”outburst.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

The link: http://www.independentmail.com/news/2007/jun/26/backman-has-meltdown/

Albany's version: http://www.albanyherald.com/archives/Sports/2007/sports062707c.html

Me thinks Arizona made a good decision a few years back.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

No (fucking) shit, 101.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey Wally, that's not the way to get back to the Show.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Backman is a classic loose cannon. He and his ex-wife were famous for leaving unpaid bills everywhere. I believe she left him and took whatever was left

He's never realized that things you get away with as a 25-year-old player don't fly when you're 50 and trying to be taken seriously as a manager.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

Don't worry, he'll probably wind up a baseball analyst at the WWL.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Another reason why Murdoch should shell out a blank check and write whatever amount to take MLB away from WWL and stick it on Fox.

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Thanks for your kind support of the obvious opinion.

Have a great day :)

8. what a bad lead

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

To be replaced by...Kelvin Chapman? Tim Teufel?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Brian Giles?

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think you're working backwards, though the Kingman-Giles-Oquendo/Gardenhire-Brooks infield, was probably the first I ever rooted against.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but I can't see the name Kelvin Chapman without thinking of Brian Giles and his 1984 Topps baseball card.

Draft saved Draft deleted