1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wallace interviewing his friend, Raja

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Dec 26, 2007.

1. I didn't know Mike Wallace and the Rocket were "friends." This disturbs me a bit. And I don't understand the logic by either Wallace or Rocket to go through with the interview. Sure, Rocket will give the interview to someone he trusts but it's not going to be much more credible than his YouTube video. And I know it'll be good for the network, but Wallace is putting his integrity up for question. No way is he going to be tough enough on Clemens.

From the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/26/sports/baseball/27clemens.html?th&emc=th

Up until this point, Clemens’s denials of Mitchell’s findings have either been issued by Hardin, by Clemens’s agent, or have come in the form of a short video posted on Clemens’s personal Web site.

The interview with Wallace will be the first in which Clemens answers questions directly from a reporter, albeit Wallace, a frequent guest in the owner’s suite at Yankee Stadium, who has described himself as a friend of Clemens. An open-ended session with a group of reporters would be seen as a more challenging forum for Clemens.

“After ‘60 Minutes’ airs he will be sitting down to answer questions directly to members of the media,” Hardin said. “We haven’t figured out where it will happen but he will answer questions that night.”

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is what you will learn from Roger Clemens. He will deny. He will threaten to sue.
    He will threaten to sue the L.A. Times, George Mitchell and Brian McNamee.
    He will sue none of the aforementioned. Because, as soon as he does, there is this little legal things called "discovery," "depositions," and "oath." Both Roger Clemens and Rusty Hardin want no part of it.

But, Clemens and his legal team are playing the same game the Feds played. They're trying the "court of public opinion." That's all the Mitchell Report was. Those finding wouldn't hold up in any court. Second, third-hand knowledge in some instances.

But, let Clemens or one of his legal team make one mistake, one outrageous claim. There will be a receipt or a scribble or a notebook or a notation or a calendar that magically appears in a federal prosecutor's hands.

Good luck, Roger.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah, and Mike Wallace and Gen. Westmoreland were "friends," too.

Wallace has already disgraced himself a few times.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I can't believe that Mike Wallace would sully his reputation by softballing anyone on 60 Minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted