1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street Protestors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Az, at this rate you will wear out your question mark key by end of day.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You cited credit cards, which I find pretty ironic, considering that for years, they were allowed to basically tear up any contract they had with their customers and impose new terms. In the free market, a contract is based upon an agreement with two parties with specified terms.

Now, you can say that a credit card company specified their terms (usually in very small print amid a mass of other nonsensical legalese) that they can change their deal at any time. Which is great and all. Except that every credit card company did it. There was no competition. Every card company was doing it.

And then some of them actually changed their terms where, if you wanted to close your account, they charged a fee for that. Charging you for choosing to go somewhere's else (this happened to my wife, by the way). That's not free market competition. That's legalized theft.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

http://dailycaller.com/2011/10/06/organizer-admits-to-paying-occupy-dc-protesters-video/

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is it ironic that a guy criticizing the protestors has a screen name that ends with the word "banks"?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Job creators.

6. vicd

vicd Active Member

"Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants."

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I think the problem is the lack of accountability for the ultra rich that is pissing people off. Not so much that they are ultra rich. Billionaire lose all their money? No worries, claim bankruptcy and live off the money stowed away in offshore accounts. Committed fraud? No worries, the company goes under, everyone loses their jobs, and the CEO gets a huge payout. Committed illegal deals with other countries? No big deal. Don't want to pay taxes? Cool. Just use all the loopholes.

Meanwhile people are getting years in jail for a puff of weed or stealing a couple bucks worth of items from a store, and popping out close to 40% of their paychecks. It's not the disparity. It's that the quality of life is going down for the middle class in the poor, while the rich continue to get richer, despite many of their very shady and illegal practices. Then they took our money to bail them out, and then instead of reinvesting it in more jobs, they horde it while making record profits. That's the real issue.

Side note:
    It's hilarious how on Fox News they're saying all these people are just lazy and won't go out and get a job, then 5 minutes later complain about how Obama isn't creating any jobs. The Tea Partiers were patriots, these people are lazy bums. Funny how that dynamic works out.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Save us, Tucker Carlson!

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

They will save us!

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If they want to be seen as essential to the fabric of society, as I'm pretty sure they do, then they need to start acting like it.

If not, then why did we spend hundreds of billions to keep them afloat, and why are we spending billions more trying to bribe them to actually lend money to people?

What you say about corporations is true. Where we differ is that I see that as a fundamental problem. It's about more than the relentless, blood-sucking pursuit of profit for shareholders. Or at least it ought to be.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

How Alinsky-esque of you!
    I want to know where the black people are in this "protest." We heard about how "white" the Tea Parties are, how about the Occupy Wall Street protesters? Pretty Wonder Bread from the looks of it.
    (Will now wait while Az scours the Interwebs to find a picture or two of black protesters...should be a hoot).

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm concerned you aren't a journalist because that article is as reliable as an ESPN story that uses "sources say".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.