1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street Protestors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Banks were making money even before they started charging fees to customers. Fees are only a fairly recent phenomenon. And there's no free market when everyone is doing the same thing (except for the local credit unions). If all the banks all decide to charge $5 per transaction, the only free market then is deciding to take your money and put it under your mattress.

What happened was banks got too greedy for their own good, gambled away their money thanks to deregulation and needed the government to bail them out. Glass-Steagel should never have been repealed in the first place.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Then they need to stop telling us how it's vital that they be allowed to do what they want so that they can make loans to people.

It's selfish shit like this that pisses people off. Yes, banks have shareholders. But they also have customers. Once upon a time, those people were more than a source of revenue.

Banks are NOT just another corporation. They serve a vital, fundamental purpose in the economy, as they are fond of telling us about every 6.2 seconds. Therefore, they are and must be about more than just "making money for their shareholders."

If they don't want to put the interests of actual, real people somewhere on the totem pole, then we have every right to make them do it.
    And if they still don't want to, then maybe it really is time for a new system.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This shows an unawareness of, or disregard for, how markets work. Most banks are charge similar fees and have similar pricing structures, precisely because they operate in a market. They have found a market equilibrium, in which one bank can't undercut the others without losing overall revenue, and other banks can't charge higher fees without losing revenue by costing themselves customers. There is plenty of competition in the commercial banking area. If I run Chase, and I can somehow boost volume of loans enough by charging a lower interest rates, OF COURSE, I am going to do it. But that isn't possible, because everyone is already maximizing their revenue by charging an equilibrium price, where the mix of rates plus consumers in at those rates brings in the most money. Anyone in business finds that price point that maximizes revenue.

All businesses operate that way. They have competitors. They price things in a way that takes into account that competition. "If I raise prices, as much as I would love to, I risk losing more business than I make up from the higher prices." "If I lower prices, I may get more customers, but the lower margins will lead to decreased revenues." It's why unless you have some competitive advantage that allows you to shave costs in a way that your competitors can't, prices in competitive businesses tend to be similar -- for example, in commercial banking.

Name your area of commercial banking. You have your choice of dozens of companies offering credit cards. Dozens of places to open your money market account. Dozens of places to get a checking account. These are highly competitive busineses, and each prices their services in a way that takes into account their competition, what price point can maximize revenue (and hopefully profits), and in the case of things like lending, risk.

Now you get the Federal government stepping in (and mind you, this plays into my earlier post about special interest, because Dodd-Frank was special-interest driven) and putting price ceilings on what businesses can charge. The end result isn't surprising. It messed with that equilibrium, and now is costing consumers, as banks find other ways to make up the revenue government took away from them.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Someone please explain why a bank borrows money at 1 percent and needs to charge 28 percent for someone who doesn't pay off their credit card balance in full.

(No need to actually answer the question unless you start with the words "scam" or "fraud.")

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I can't believe the damn libruhl lamestream media hasn't given these protests more coverage.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've read that the protestors have made a concerted effort not to
    speak to the media. Perhaps this is why their message is unclear.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I disagree with you. They are just corporations. That is all they are. Corporations beholden to their shareholders. The rest of it: The politicians pointing fingers at them; the rhetoric from them about regulation and how they'd loan if only. ... ; your posts about greed and selfishness, as subjective criteria as those are; it's just senseless noise. Bank of America doesn't owe me anything. And frankly, I am glad for that, because I don't think it is going to survive another year. At least I give it less than a 50/50 shot. Maybe this time around we don't get more special interest cronyism from our government, and we let BofA and Morgan Stanley and any others that don't have viable businesses to go by the wayside rather than handing out unfair favors that add to our debt. Banking can be a great business--if you have the ability to minimize risk and maximize profits. A lot of the largest banks in the world have failed miserably at the minimizing risk problem, whether it was CDOs on mortgages or exposure to sovereign debt that presupposed that the global economy would continue to expand infinitely.

There are plenty who can manage their risk better, and will do it better than the ones that have failed. We should just let it happen. The same way any business that mismanages itself goes out of business.

But this notion that any of these companies owes use anything? They are in business to earn a profit. And somehow, because of attitudes like the one you expressed in your post, they get put in the position of apologizing for trying to do it.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We're sorry, but your most recent post posted late. We've therefore assessed a $36 charge from your account. Per your customer service update of 10/7/11, your credit rating here, and at every other message board, may be negatively affected by this charge. Have a pleasant day.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It is pretty amazing that every single one of the hundreds of thousands involved have said "No comment" to everything.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Corporations: all the rights of the individual, none of the responsibilities. Discuss.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

It seems to me that these protesters are out there screaming about a lot of things that Obama has done/is doing...but end it all with "re-elect Obama." Obama had more Wall Street money in his 2008 campaign than anyone else I can remember, and these protesters are anti-Wall Street. They are calling for student loans to be forgiven...and Obama nationalized them to make that money for the government. Some of these protesters have been paid to be there, which sounds a little shady. They are protesting just to protest, it seems.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Any evidence of this? Any links?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.