1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street plans to sell shares in pro athletes' careers...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 16, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

From the upcoming Portfolio magazine:

“THE JOCK EXCHANGE” (p. 156). Contributing editor Michael Lewis reports that Wall Street is about to launch a new way to trade professional athletes the way you trade stocks. On the proposed A.S.A. Sports Exchange, an athlete would sell 20 percent of all future on-field or on-court earnings to a trust, which would in turn sell securities to the public. “As a number of smart people seem to have noticed at once, professional athletes have all the traits of successful publicly traded stocks, beginning with enormous speculative interest in them,” Lewis writes. “Americans wager somewhere between $200 billion and $400 billion a year on sports, and between 15 million and 25 million of them play in fantasy leagues—which is to say that a shadow stock market in athletes already exists.” Lewis reports that in the past three years, at least a dozen baseball teams have hired the type of young statisticians you’d more commonly find working in risk arbitrage at Bear Stearns. “The fans have always had an emotional investment without a [legal] financial one,” says a leading sports agent. “This is taking emotion and putting it to financial use. Screw this putting 300 bucks into a pot at work. This is ‘everyone get online and open your account at Ameritrade.’ ”

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dibs on Drew Henson, Todd Marinovich and Ron Pawlus.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Tony Mandarich wiped me the fuck out...

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sweet! Gambling on sports now legal!

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Gimme 20 on Kevin Durant. I want it yesterday! And I want all the Calvin Johnson you can get your hands on!

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I always wanted to offer shares in my writing career, then short the shit out it.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I like this. I like this a lot.

Now I can 'gamble' without actually gambling. Yes!!

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

As long as the Jessica Biel NSFW thread isn't locked and/or deleted, I'd feel comfortable investing in RokSki's post total...

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

*bows* :)

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

I'll take any and all shares in Adrian Peterson!

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Give me the Toledo football program.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

When is the IPO on Nomar and Mia Hamms' kids?

Draft saved Draft deleted