1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street Meltdown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I watch enough business shows (everything from Cramer, to Dobbs to Cavuto) to get the impression the biz press for the most part, is in the tank for the companies they cover. Regulation and taxes bad, risky ventures good. Sweeping generalizations about why markets rally or why they crash. I'm thinking my next and last investment might just be a mattress.

Lehman Bros. about to declare bankruptcy after 158 years in business.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN0927996520080915

Merrill Lynch about to be rescued by Bank of America
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/09/14/bcnmer115.xml

And Alan Greenspan says we're in the middle of a once in a century financial crisis
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=amVkrOCQNBQs&refer=home

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pull yourselves up by the bootstraps!

Unless we need help. then pull our bootstraps up for us.

3. There is no simple solution to this mess and over the last 30-years, our government has proven only capable of doing simple things. The end of the Clinton and Bush II White Houses have wrecked this country for the next 20 years.

How does McCain or Obama create an economic plan that can fix our problems and lessen our "I O U" with China? Good luck.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

This is the fault of too much deregulation and too little oversight.

Thanks, Republicans, for your failed economic ideology. Now go away for the next 50 years, please, while the grown-ups straighten this out.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not going to put it on Bush, or Clinton, but it is interesting looking at the history of these companies that stood alone for over 100 years suddenly buying and selling parts of each other, reforming, renaming, like a game of three card monte. I realize the markets and investment banks are important foundations for our economy, I guess what surprises me is why people who should have known better, didn't know better.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Put it on Reagan, a terrible president who is worshipped by the right-wing like gay men worship David Beckham.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yo spinning: back to your pen, now.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/forums/17/

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for the sweeping generalization. For a liberal, your gay comments really are crass.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Spare me. It's a jab at the right-wing's man-love for Reagan, who is responsible for much of the mess we're wallowing in right now.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Sorry. You've done it on multiple occasions. I give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It's homophobic to say that gay men worship David Beckham? Some of you need to get out more. Or at least meet more gay people.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You throw out homophobic comments at least once a week. People here are judged on what they say, not what they claim to believe.

Your continual insistence on insulting people with "gay" remarks can be construed as some form of homophobia, no matter how much thou doth protest.

Just because one is liberal doesn't mean one isn't a blatant homophobe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.