1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wall street journal sports.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Mar 13, 2008.

1. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

Was just curious: Does anyone know if they ever hired a columnist?
    Or if they're even still starting a section?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They've made a couple really good hires. I don't know how much they're using them as of yet...

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I applaud the efforts of the WSJ to tackle the weighty issues facing sports journalists these days but I'm also torn. It strikes me as being similar to Congress taking on steroids and baseball. Done well, it's probably not a bad idea. But one is left to wonder if they don't have more important matters to occupy their time.

In WSJ's case, I would like to know if they think there are great stories left untold in sports-land or if they view it as fertile ground given the interests of their readers. Might this be a ploy for circulation growth?

To that end, why go the columnist route rather than the investigative reporter path? If WSJ can devote six months of reporting time to a single story, then that would seem to fill a void more than another voice in the wilderness opining on John Daly or Clemens or the trendy national sports story of the day.

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

Mizzou - Who'd they hire?

5. Mizzougrad96

They hired Adam Thompson away from The Denver Post.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Like two years ago, though, right? Adam already was there to get nervous about the Murdoch influence like so many others.

I've been under the impression the WSJ is going to beef up sports coverage well beyond the folks already on board. Maybe it's a wrong impression, though. ???

7. CNY

CNY Member

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't see it happening... The only place that seems to be expanding coverage these days is ESPN and the other web sites...

Draft saved Draft deleted