1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street guys win Powerball lottery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 29, 2011.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, I agree that the lottery is an extremely regressive revenue stream for government but outlawing lotteries or cigarettes would be silly because they would be replaced by criminal enterprises because you can't stop the demand for these products. The legalization of lotteries took a big chunk of the numbers racket and outlawing cigarettes would create a situation similar to prohibition. If outlawed, both would be taken over by organized crime.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The downside to the Canadian lottery: your winnings are in loonies.

3. dooley_womack1

Yeah, and rich people don't smoke fags, of course. ::)

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agreed that lottery sales represent an regressive government revenue stream, not cigarettes.

I buy A lottery ticket from time to time, myself. What's sad is seeing down-and-out guys spending the grocery money on 16 of them, with different variations of numbers they've plotted out.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I absolutely promise you that rich people don't smoke nearly as much as poor people. I promise. Want to bet?

6. Dick Whitman

Again: Everyone stop at your local gas station convenience store. Check out the crowd. Count the MBAs and MDs.

7. dooley_womack1

For one thing, there's not nearly as many rich people, and they have other places other than convenience stores they can readily go to for better brands, tho in most parts of the country, the place to fill up the tank is at convenience stores, and I assume most rich people don't have drivers. And your second post is an anecdotal, silly argument.

And to go on and on about the poor smoke, that's entering Shockleyan territory.

8. Dick Whitman

http://www.gallup.com/poll/105550/among-americans-smoking-decreases-income-increases.aspx

9. Dick Whitman

http://consumerist.com/2010/05/poor-people-spend-9-of-income-on-lottery-tickets.html

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's the return on that 9%? If you buy 1100 1$ tickets a year, how much are you earning back in winnings?

11. dooley_womack1

Hahahahaha...let's be snarky about the less fortunate....hahahahaha....let's get them financial advisers with a scratch-off...hahahahaha....

Man, talking about giving up the farm on the company you keep intellectually....

And again, 9 percent of a poor person's income, which doesn't seem that much, really, doesn't represent much of an opportunity cost. And if someone wants to spend 50 percent on lottery tickets....we're not his fucking nanny.

12. Dick Whitman

A quick Google search found me an article that said that the Kansas Lottery returns about 53 percent in winnings. I don't know if that's typical or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted