1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street guys win Powerball lottery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 29, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Three wealth managers from Greenwich, CT, bought a $1 ticket and won the $254 million jackpot:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/wealthy-connecticut-trio-win-245-million-powerball-article-1.983858

At least one Occupier is whining already:

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, he's right.

The other day, I walked out of a gas station, as usual full of roughnecks.

I asked my wife, "Do wealthy people just not buy gas?"

She said they do, but they just don't pop into the attached convenience store like poor people do.

Cigarettes and lottery tickets. The twin siren songs.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The lottery does not screw the poor. It screws the stupid. Usually.

4. Dick Whitman

Not stupid. Uneducated.

Uneducated = Poor.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You can be uneducated and still be stupid.

The odds of winning the Powerball are 1 in about 195 million. That makes it a good bet to put a dollar down on any chance you can win more than $195 million, and a bad bet to put a dollar down when the pot is lower than that.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Talk about regressive taxes.

If lawmakers wanted to help the poor, they'd make both illegal. But, they need the money too much -- and they don't care that it comes from the poor.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If $1 is not going to break your budget, why not buy a big-money lottery ticket? We waste a lot more money than that on other things.

8. Dick Whitman

That really how much you think they're spending?

9. Dick Whitman

If 3.25 percent is not going to break the bank, why not a tax increase on the wealthy to preserve a $1,000 tax break for families making less than $50,000 a year?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Obviously, one shouldn't spend a paycheck on the things. But if we ban things that are wastes, we'd be banning gourmet meals (what's needed for sustenance is a lot cheaper), yachts, balloon payments, most toys, etc.

Poor people have enough problems without being moralized to about how to have a little fun and have a little hope.

11. Dick Whitman

Nothing to do with morals.

Everything to do with economics.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So I would assume everyone who is anti-lottery is anti-gambling and wants to shut down Vegas too, right?

And before you say it, yes, I know the odds of winning are much bigger in certain games in Vegas, but the principle's basically the same -- playing a game most people lose money on with the hope of coming out ahead.

Draft saved Draft deleted