1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall St. Journal's Blind Bracket

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Mar 15, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just filled out a blind bracket at WSportsJournalists.com and I was pretty surprised by the results.

A team I didn't have in any Final Four predictions was my national champion (Arizona). The rest of my final four was North Carolina, Purdue and BYU. Out of the 68 or so teams, I knew about 10 of them, most of them Big Ten teams. The others, I had no clue about.

http://graphicsweb.wSportsJournalists.com/documents/BLINDFOLDBRACKETS1103/

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The only one obvious to me was VCU, because they referred to them beating UCLA and playing Tennessee tough. BYU was pretty easy to figure out, too, with the reference to one player being their whole offense.

I'm going to go with it. Why the hell not? I've never won a pool. The final it gave me was Duke over Notre Dame, with Ohio State and BYU in the Final Four. I picked three of those four on my own before using the blind bracket (had Florida instead of BYU). Only double-digit seeds in the Sweet 16 were Marquette and Belmont.

Also, the fake nicknames it gave the teams were awesome.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

North Carolina, San Diego State, Florida, Kansas, with Rock Chalk Jayhawks beating SDSU in the finals.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My Final Four: Ohio State, UConn, Kansas and Florida. The first three, I'm cool with. But Florida? Yikes.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Mountain West-heavy with BYU and San Diego State, Kansas and North Carolina. Kansas over SDSU in the final game.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Kansas, Kentucky, UConn and BYU in the Final Four, with BYU beating UConn.

http://graphicsweb.wSportsJournalists.com/documents/BLINDFOLDBRACKETS1103/print.html?r=65,47,40,62,2,31,19,13,21,10,24,4,0,32,49,12,20,11,25,6,1,33,16,14,40,9,26,5,3,34,17,15,23,8,39,7,2,13,10,4,0,12,11,6,1,14,9,5,3,15,8,39,13,4,0,11,1,9,3,8,13,11,1,8,11,8,8,-1

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

First-round upsets: Oakland d. Texas, Richmond d. Vanderbilt, Marquette d. Xavier, Gonzaga d. St. John's, Florida State d. Texas A&M
    Second-round upsets: Cincinnati d. Connecticut, ODU d. Pitt
    Sweet 16 upsets: Cincinnati d. San Diego State, Purdue d. Notre Dame
    Regional finals: Ohio State d. North Carolina, Duke d. Cincinnati, Purdue d. Kansas, Kansas State d. Florida
    National semifinals: Ohio State d. Duke, Purdue d. Kansas State
    Title game: Ohio State d. Purdue

Would have been a bit more sporting had they given you games randomly, instead of going down the brackets region by region. Also figured out about a dozen of the schools. Still fun.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is a great, great idea. Even if only to change things up.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I tried this, but damn. Way too much reading and way too time-consuming. I'll stick with my usual awful picks based on very little information and intelligence.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, and look how that worked out for your wife!

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My final four was Xavier (?!?!), Duke, Pitt and Kansas.

With Kansas beating Xavier (?!?!?) for the title.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

My Final Four: Kentucky, San Diego St., Illinois, Florida! Wow. SDSU winning the title. Lots of upsets.

Draft saved Draft deleted