1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WALL*E

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Guess that gives you a chance to lecture about littering and shopping at Wal-Mart, though. Everyone wins!

2. Going to see it on Sunday. Can't wait. My future sister-in-law took my future nephew today and they both loved it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks Jay, mustard and W-B. I feel better now. Little OOP has been talking about going to see this for a long time. Sounds like Mrs. OOP and I will enjoy it as well.

4. outofplace

Just got back a while ago from seeing Wall-E with the family. The little one enjoyed it and so did I, but the movie did lose her attention once or twice. Mrs. OOP was a little disappointed. I think she had heard too much hype.

Good, but I didn't think it was Pixar's best. IMHO, Finding Nemo was better.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Saw it tonight, probably wouldn't have except for the reviews here, so thanks a lot, we enjoyed it a lot. Pizza plants!

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Enjoyed it a lot. Second only to Cars among recent Pixars, to my taste. And it sure as heck inspires me to go to the gym.

But then, I'm someone who thought Finding Nemo was good, but not a superior movie like so many see it as.

Whoever said the first 30 minutes had no dialogue didn't sit in front of a couple of moron ladies like I did tonight.

"(Munching popcorn in that out-of-breath way) . . .Oh! Poor WALL-E! (munch, munch) So what's his job, recycling or something? (crunch, wheeze) . . . What happened? . . . Oh my God! (munch)"

Rinse, repeat for the entire movie. Kids are not an issue at these films; you know they're there, and they will have their fun. But a pair of talkative morons? They belong at the Adam Sandler flicks.

7. outofplace

You are too nice, Piotr. Kids, I'll tolerate....maybe turn and give the parents a nasty look if it gets out of hand. Adults? I would have told them to kindly shut the hell up.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

People were quiet where we went. They clapped at the end.

This movie ought to be Exhibit A for the argument that if you give people quality, they will appreciate it and it will hold their interest and they will pay for it. I hope the movie grosses something ridiculous, like a billion in two months.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I liked it. A lot. But I wasn't wowed. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, or probably even the best one I've seen this summer. I'd watch Iron Man again before I watched this again.

A few minor spoilers are ahead:

Really -- I'm getting lectured on a materialistic lifestyle by Disney? Really? I mean, really? I'm getting lectured on the evils of children being brainwashed by brand names by DISNEY?

Ok, Next: Why do only some robots have personalities? Why do only some robots have feelings? Why does the Auto robot follow the captain's orders when the capt. tells him to reveal his secret orders, then not do so later when he tells Auto to stand down? Why are they still sending out probe robots if they were ordered not to return to Earth? Why don't they just reprogram the probe robots once they get back to the ship? How are the humans having babies if they don't even remember what it's like to touch one another?

And, I'm sorry, but the "robot love" where they just bump face masks was just weird. Every movie doesn't have to have a love story built in. Couldn't the robots just be friends and want to do the right thing? Do we really have to contemplate whether these two vastly different models of robots are going to have robot sex? I'm fine making the leap of faith with the robot personalities thing, but robot love is an entirely different leap, and I felt one too far.

I know. Those are a bunch of ticky-tacky points. Most of them are, anyway. Pixar probably deserves credit for making a movie that makes its parent company look so stupid, but when you're bringing up some pretty heavy topics, I think you need to do a better job with the loose ends. I think you need to do a better job with awkward moments, like robots falling in love. Robots can love? What the hell? This isn't BattleStar Galactica ... at least there, they made that fairly large leap of faith a major plot point in the show.

Even at the end, when Wall-E doesn't remember that he was in love ... how does he re-remember? Because he got sparked? They traded out basically his entire body. He wasn't the same robot anymore. He was a compilation of 20 different robots. What makes him have the same consciousness he had before?

I liked it. I really did. I laughed. I thought it was creative and very well done, but I did not think it was the be-all, end-all a lot of people are making it out to be.

10. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Well, not completely unheard of, but it is in some pretty damn select company: Godfather, Godfather 2, Wizard of Oz, Pulp Ficton, Aliens, Toy Story, Citizen Kane, Raging Bull, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back...at least according to the tomatometer...all are 95 percent or better

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Big hit for Golden Earring, wasn't it?

12. I, too, wondered about how they reproduced. You left out my other big question: they're not smart enough to take care of their trash but they somehow figured out some sort of renewable fuel that allows to run the ship for 700 years and push their asses around on automated couches? And where is the food coming from? The dead?

Draft saved Draft deleted