1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WALL*E

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree completely. I'm sure it's good, but the previews make it look awful.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The more reviews I read, the more I want to see it.

From the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/Movies/article/450102

All WALL-E yearns to do, as he learned from Hello, Dolly!, is to hold the hand of the one he loves, just like that Beatles song of long ago.

In a summer season where everything else on the screen wants to be bigger, louder and more obnoxious, that's pretty special, don't you think?

And A.O. Scott in the Times:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/06/27/movies/27wall.html?ref=movies

HC & I'll probably see it before she heads off to France for the summer.

3. Just saw it with the kid. It was very good. Not my favorite Pixar movie, I think I enjoyed Ratatouille and a couple others more, but still very funny in parts and it makes you think.

Like I said earlier, you know you're getting your money's worth with a Pixar film. Hell, I laughed more at the Pixar short that played before the movie than any other movie I've seen in a long time.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Ninety-seven percent on rottentomatoes.com. Unheard of.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I just got back from seeing it.
    Breathtaking.
    A really simple story, beautifully told.
    I saw it in a theater full of kids, and I didn't hear a peep.
    Not from the kids, not from the adults. People didn't even get up to use the bathroom.
    Everyone just sat there and watched the movie.
    Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was spectacular.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Did anyone else cry? Because I know I almost did.

Not sure I would recommend it for really young kids, just because the ending is very dark and a little intense, but it tells a great story flawlessly, the animation is (as always) absolutely superb and the characterization is amazing (and by that, I mean at the end of the story, you actually give a crap about the robots).

The Pixar short was absolutely HILARIOUS. I do agree that there were some other Pixars that I liked more than this one but it's still worth the money to see it (especially in theaters).

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The ending is dark? That's not what I would expect from this. Too much for a nearly-5-year-old?

Please don't to spoil anything here, but could you PM me what you thought was too intense for little ones? We are planning to take my daughter and a friend of hers tomorrow.

(Yes, I am a paranoid, overprotective dad).

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I made my girlfriend see Hulk, so I owe her this one. Really hope I end up coming out ahead in this deal.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought the ending was uplifting.
    I'm having trouble computing what was dark about it.
    Stay for the credits, the little animation bits flesh out the ending, then Samuel L. Jackson comes out, says Pym's a little bitch and recruits Wall•E and EVE for the Avengers.
    Oh. My. God. It was awesome.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Took the mustardgirl (5 years old) to see it. She loved it. And I tip my cap to Pixar. Those guys are fucking amazing.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's the anti-Happening.

12. OOP, our kids are about the same age, IIRC. She should be fine. I, too, don't recall anything dark about the ending. It was uplifting, especially compared to the beginning.

If anything, expect your kid to ask you where all the people are and why trash is everywhere in the beginning scenes where the little robot is moving through the inhabited world that is clearly earth. That's what my kid wanted to know.

She really liked the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted