1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walking away from fantasy sports

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Orange Hat Bobcat, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

A little more than two months from now, I will walk away from fantasy sports. Football, baseball, basketball, pick 'ems, survivor leagues, whatever, doesn't matter. I'm retiring at the end of the football season. Thank God.

I have played fantasy sports since middle school. I have recruited friends to play fantasy sports, to join private leagues, to share in the statistical splurges. I have won more than a few championships. In the end, of course, they meant nothing. Bragging rights, maybe, and those are nice.

But I watched sports so differently than I would have if I had never played fantasy. And that's why I'm done with it. Fantasy sports are ruining my ability to enjoy sports for what they are. Now, maybe, I can just enjoy the games.

Anybody else quit at any point?

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

You can play fantasy sports and not be OCD about it.
    It sounds, to me, like you don't have the cajones to defend your title.

And stop your bragging.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This is an interesting POV. I've rarely indulged in fantasy stuff.

Baseball season this year was a first. I'm also doing a college football pick 'em this year, and I'm getting my head handed to me (but I don't mind).

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You can't quit me. [/fantasy sports]

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You can love fantasy sports, but you shouldn't LOVE fantasy sports.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I used to have 4-5 baseball teams, 1-2 football teams, a hockey team, a couple pick 'ems, etc.

I simply don't feel the need (or have the time) to pull that off anymore. I've got one baseball/football league I've been in for about eight years, and another one at my current workplace. Other than NCAA time, that's enough for me.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No one gives a shit about you walking away from fantasy sports [spnited/]

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Like other realms of fantasy, fantasy sports does different things for different people. I like the competition and the challenge of testing your (fill-in sport) IQ against other people by trying to put together the best possible team. I also use it to keep aware of what is going on in MLB or the NFL (the only sports I play in). It is what you make of it.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I hear ya, OHB, on viewing the game differently. The most I've ever done is pick 'ems, but I've strongly disliked what fantasy sports have become: horse racing.

I had a roommate who was really into it, and it was to the point where he would plead for players to get hurt so his guys would do better. It transcended any team loyalty or cheering for the sake of enthusiasm. It was sad to watch and drove me crazy.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't put pick'ems and survivor leagues in the same category as fantasy. If you're picking teams to win, cover the spread, etc., you're still watching games with more sense than those rooting for one team's second receiver and the other team's tight end.

I was spoiled with my early (pre-internet!) fantasy leagues where people actually got together to draft, continued getting together during the season to eat, drink and harass each other and no one really knew what the heck was going on every week until the commissioner sent out his weekly report. The computerized fantasy era has no appeal to me.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do you still have time for the magnetic standings board?

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I've played fantasy baseball since the days when it was known as Rotisserie League (named after a book written about the original league) and checked stats and made personnel moves faithfully. The funny thing is, I haven't been more than just a casual "real" baseball fan in that time.

On the other hand, I'm a rabid football fan. But I've never been even remotely interested in joining a fantasy league. I took part in the office suicide pool (pick one outright winner each week, can't pick the same team twice in the same season) from time to time, but that was it.

Draft saved Draft deleted