1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walk-outs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Written Off, Jul 3, 2008.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Inspiring. Truly.

You have to leave it all behind with dignity. Let the industry crumble. It might be the best thing we do to save journalism.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So suburbia, you're agreeing with me that leaving -- not walking out in protest like some teenager in a snit but leaving on your own terms, with another job lined up or some other post-newspaper plan, rather than passively waiting for a buyout, layoff or a magic pill -- is the way to go?

Based on everything else you said above, if you are willing to work for such jerks on an open-ended basis and aren't looking to determine your own fate, you would be the one who is ridiculously naive.

I'm actually not sure why you were quoting me. I'm not the one advocating leaving in a huff. I'm merely advocating leaving, ASAP.

3. Written Off

Written Off New Member

I agree that my entire topic is immature. It's just a helpless feeling. I'm not talking about one person walking off the job; I'm talking about an entire staff.
    Is it stupid? Yes.
    At least it's something.
    This is the most helpless feeling in the world. I find zero reason for optimism in the field in which I've always worked and always wanted to work.
    It sucks.
    I guess what I mostly wanted to hear is can't we do something? Anything? Just something to say they need us, if only a little bit.
    Or are we doomed with the options of leave or be dumped?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We're doomed. Sorry to break it to you.

Ask the people who were in Detroit in the mid-90s what happens when you walk out. Any power that unions had in the newspaper industry went with them when they walked.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I guess our shop sucks!

Strange thing is we are a decent size paper, decent pay for the market (nothing great, but not horrible) and, as a family owned, relatively safe from all the downsizing going on...

Yet a well-advertised pagination position we had about 10 months ago had maybe a half dozen applicants or so. A photog position, also well advertised, got even less.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The fact is, there will always be a demand for local news and local content. Newspapers aren't going anywhere. They may change, there may be a complete makeover, but the basics will always--always--exist.

If you can't handle the changes, maybe you need to rethink your future.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There are plenty of journalists who can handle the changes. They aren't being given the opportunity to because the executives above them fucked up and figure it's easier to chop jobs than try to work a solution.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh there's no doubt about that. My point is that the industry will exist, in some way, for the rest of our lives.

How we adapt to those changes will determine our ability to land/keep jobs in the field.

But, like the industry, stupid execs will always be on top. It's that way in every field, every career, every job opportunity. You show me one good executive who knows what he/she is doing and I'll show you 40 that don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted