1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walk of Fame or Walk of Sort of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 22, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

According to the AP, the following people will be among the celebrities receiving their footprint/handprint/star (I forget which) on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: Ricky Martin, Brooks and Dunn, Tim Robbins, Cate Blanchett, Angela Bassett, Howie Mandel and George Harrison.

Except for Harrison and maybe Robbins, do any of those people deserve it? I mean, Ricky Freaking Martin???

Who's next? David Caruso?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Anybody who wants to pay the price ($20,000 I think) can get a star.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Does Star Jones know that?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

You can get that Star for a lot less, I think.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

All you have to do to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is to have someone nominate you, make a case, pay something, and have the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce select you.

There are a lot of people who are involved in the entertainment industry as executives who have a star, and a lot of old time actors who you never heard of.

There are some of the biggest names who don't have a star (Paul Newman might be one, or he didn't have one for a long time) because they never wanted to be bothered. Usually this involves some sort of promotion for a new project or somebody who wants someone to be honored - Gary Owens made an effort to get The Three Stooges a star.

As for Ricky Martin, his career didn't end with Menudo. He went to Broadway and starred in Les Miserables - I know this because my wife made me spend eight dollars for those cheap opera glasses so she could get a better look at him. Ricky Martin also sang the World Cup theme song for 1998, and is a worldwide star in the Spanish-language world.

Hondo, you and I have had our disagreements, but if my wife and her sisters find out you have insulted Ricky Martin, they will hunt you down and barbeque you. Consider yourself warned... :)

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Dave Thomas has a star for his commercials for Wendy's. I thought it was the Dave Thomas on SCTV, but I found out it was the guy from Wendy's.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Vince McMahon is also scheduled to get one and that should be worth a few photographs if you believe what you've seen on WWE TV of late.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I just got back from California a week ago today. The wife and I did a sight-seeing tour and a stop was the walk of the fame. Indeed, all a person needs to get a star is A) A tie to music, film, television B) Someone to nominate them C) The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to approve it and C) $25,000 US to pay for it.

That's it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rick Dees and Mary Hart have stars, this thing is a joke.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you believe what you see on WWE TV, you have bigger problems than who gets a star on the walk of fame...

11. Claws for Concern

:eek:

12. Claws for Concern

Don't forget, Jim Gray has a star too.

Draft saved Draft deleted