1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart food drive

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Morris816

Morris816 Member

FWIW, the discount store I worked at for a couple of months did give an employee discount for all purchases. I have no idea if Wal-Mart does that or did at any point, though.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart gives a 10% employee discount after 90 days of employment, iirc.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My word ... "Reduced to begging" ... the shamelessness of some of you. And here I thought those of journalistic tendencies had an especial affinity for "the facts."

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Perhaps an enrollment to the Jelly of the Month Club is in order? It's the gift that keeps giving, the whole year 'round.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Walmart employees have a card so they can use their discount at any store. Swipe it like a debit card at the end of the sale.

But the discount doesn't apply to food. (Or didn't when I was working there.)

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, and that should rise them out of poverty.

Hey, we know you're paying you shit but here's a charity box.

And, of course, there's no class system in North America.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At my first full-time journalism job out of college, the NEWS EDITOR (the No. 3 guy in an 8-person newsroom) was paid little enough he qualified for food stamps (he had a wife and infant daughter; they lived in a town 25 miles away).

Occasionally he did the family grocery shopping at the local food-mart. One of Mr. Publisher's big-man-around-town/king of the morning coffee klatch buddies saw him paying with food stamps. For the next several days at the morning coffee confabs in the local diner, Mr. Publisher's buddies gave him all sorts of crap for not paying his news editor enough to feed his family without food stamps.

Mr. Publisher walks into the newsroom and orders Mr. News Ed to see him in his office.

Mr. News Ed walks in the door. "Hey, it looks bad when you are buying food around town with food stamps," says Mr. Publisher.

"Yeah, maybe we should do something about it," says Mr. News Ed.

"Right. Well, from now on, don't use food stamps when you shop for food around here."

End of meeting.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hey, Wal-Mart employees (and newspaper people) have to eat, too. Although I guess there is something wrong with a company whose products are priced such that their own employees can't buy them.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

News Ed should have told him that if he didn't want him to shop with food stamps, then pay him enough not to do so.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At-will employee.

He got another job a couple months later -- threw his key on the desk, walked out the door and never came back.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

i always thought it was better if they did nothing at all, or made it a decent bonus check if they wanted to do something, never ate that food because it was my way of saying stick it up your ass I brought my own food.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

When I worked at the paper, each employee got a gift certificate for a turkey this time of year. You were quickly informed about how times were tough, and only through the benevolence of the family could we afford such a treat. The value was about $7-8. Anything more, and you paid the difference. The whole thing was an advertising trade out, anyway. I never even wanted it, but I sure wasn't going to let them get off for free. I'd go get it and donate it to the food bank or someone I knew who could use it, usually another employee or two who I know qualified for food stamps.

Draft saved Draft deleted