1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart Announces Wage Caps & 40% Part Time Hires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 2, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When good (industrial, for example) jobs move overseas because it's cheaper, obviously we can purchase those products cheaper. But what most people don't think about is that it gives all those (once industrially employed) folks the opportunity to learn another skill and apply it in another sector in our ever-evolving economy.

It's really not as bad as people think.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll take your word on it, but all I have seen is more people working in the health care industry. That doesn't seem to be bringing health care costs down.

But I can buy a new TV for $99.

3. three_bags_full

The health care industry is certainly adding jobs. BusinessWeek had a pretty good story on it a couple of weeks ago *where'd I put that, anyway*. The nature of the sector isn't one that makes a person believe adding employees will reduce costs, unless they're adding value to the services they currently offer. Maybe First Down Pirates (or someone else with a business background) can add something here.

But the best example I can give is the pie example. When jobs are outsourced, it doesn't change the size of the pie; just the size of the slices.

See GDP numbers in the past 15 years for proof, as well. We're not producing less; we're producing differently.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

I did tax preparation for a year and still do my own taxes. I have a reasonable knowledge of tax law and what I don't know, I know where to look. What I know can take care of 90 percent of people's tax returns.

In my mind, there is no way somebody in another country can do your taxes as well as anyone in the US who is reasonable competent. If it is a case of filling in forms on a program, the tax program you buy is less expensive. Somebody in India or Hong Kong might well be very capable and better accountants, but you have to understand what is deductible and have an understanding of the tax laws. That is difficult enough for people in the United States, and I have a hard time believing somebody over an ocean can understand the US tax system.

5. three_bags_full

O .... K. I think the tax thing was just an example, but substitute an iron worker if it makes you feel better.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Yeah, like I say, they might be better accountants than me but not relating to taxes.

7. three_bags_full

I grabbed the tax example from an earlier post by one of our Maple bretheren. It was a bad example. I certainly did not mean to imply that outsourcing our tax preparations is a good idea.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But it is widespread, triple ply. You got to HR Block or wherever and, through the magic of a computer, they send those babies to India to be worked up. You never know the difference.

Is that not a good thing?

9. three_bags_full

I guess it could be, but I'd guess it's not going to have the widespread effects of other types of outsourcing.

10. busuncle

busuncle Member

I know this is way off the original topic of this thread, but most of the so-called "tax preparation" people are not bona fide accountants. They're just people who type basic information into a computer program and spit out a return. Unless you have a very complex return, you should never pay some hack at the local storefront to do your taxes for you. I fully believe that someone in India could do it just as easily.

I have done my taxes by myself every year since I turned 18, and it is not that hard. (And I have several investments, etc., so it's not just a basic return).

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

I have always done my taxes by myself and I have done tax preparation. What somebody in India can't do is know enough to ask the right questions and make suggestions about how to get the full benefits from the tax laws. A lot of the business for tax preparation is getting those "instant refunds" which I would beg everybody not to do. If you file electronic returns and have a refund deposited to your account, you should have your money in two or three weeks. Don't give somebody $100 from your refund just to get it a little faster.

Bus, I agree with you that most people can do their own return. However, a lot of people don't want to spend a lot of time working with numbers. I can replace a toilet, but it will take me a lot more time, mess, and aggrevation. I'd rather do a freelance article and use that money to pay the plumber - that way, we both do what we do best.

12. three_bags_full

You shouldn't have a return.

Draft saved Draft deleted