1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart Announces Wage Caps & 40% Part Time Hires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

no - we want jr to be well.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why?
    As Omar said last night in The Wire, "Money ain't got no owners, just spenders"

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the assistant football coaches in our town works 60-something hours a week at a paper mill (he coaches at a private school part-time) and hauls in a hell of a lot more than $2 an hour. Told me last week he was making $1300 or $1400 a week and was paying off an H3 Hummer. Tough work, sure, but tough work pays well these days.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think you entirely missed the point of FB's post.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Probably so. That fella tends to lose me the minute he puts thought to keyboard.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Just wondering how much of these "savings" will be passed on to the consumers.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Taking a quick look at my last paycheque, here goes (in percentage only, to spare you eating your heart out at the gross, if not the net ::)

Quebec provincial tax: 16.4%
    Quebec pension plan: 4.85% (that's matched by the employer)
    Federal income tax: 12.5%
    Unemployment insurance: 1.5%
    some other tax thing: 0.4%
    A nice $25 chunk to the union, which has done diddly for me.
    Other private medical plan deductions (extras beyond basic medical care: physio, massages, dental, eyeglasses and contacts, stuff like that).

Total net: about 60% of gross.

It gets better around August, when the caps on unemployment insurance and the pension plan kick in for me and they stop taking those deductions.

When I lived in the St. Louis, and got my first paycheque, I gasped when I opened it. My nearby co-workers said, 'Yeah, lotta taxes, huh?" I just laughed. I kept more than 75% in my pocket.

Some medical levies on wages are paid by the employer, if I remember correctly. It's called a "health fund" tax. The rest, I guess, comes out of income taxes. For example, on a $1000 weekly gross X 4 for the month, the provincial taxes withheld might be around $600. But the actual cheque the employer writes to the government for that employee will be about twice as much.

Can't buy the Hummer here on that kind of salary. Costs about twice as much, more like close to three times as much if you factor in that you're paying for it out of net dollars.

8. KP

KP Active Member

In Quebec, it's a paycheque. In St. Louis, it's a paycheck. :D

9. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Well, that's the thing. If the upper class sends enough work overseas, they'll start consuming more than we do, and they'll butter the bread that keeps them in Hummers and Mercedes. We won't be needed as much. We'll keep the jobs that require a physical presence, but they won't pay much. Just enough to keep us alive. Might as well go back to being indentured servants.

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

In St. Louis at the time, it was also a huge exchange rate in favour of the Yankee dollar. Now, not so much. :)

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Which would you rather have: some guy in St. Louis with a plush tax job, or cheaper tax preparation?

I really hate it when people confuse outsourcing with a lose-lose situation.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

All in moderation, triple bag.

Some outsourcing, OK. But taken to the extreme (which publicly held corporations are wont to do because after all they are beholden to the stockholders) it gets scary.

If good jobs move overseas because it is cheaper, there are fewer people here who can afford goods and services and so you start to lay off people who make cars or refrigerators, etc.

If other good-paying jobs are generated here, fine. I don't see that in the model, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted