1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart Announces Wage Caps & 40% Part Time Hires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well in US every company has to contribute to Social Security and Medicare at cost of about 15% of every employees income.

Does Canada Tax private companies in anyway on a per employee basis?

How is Canadian health care system funded?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you are looking for me to give the boo-hoo, shame on the employer speech, you aren't going to find it.

The world's economy is constantly shifting, changing. People once made stove-pipe hats, buggy whips. They maintained pay phones. Things change. Only one person is going to look out for my best self-interests, and that's me. If my skills are outsourced to New Delhi, you can either complain and long for the days of the goat-herders, or you can make sure you have the skills to compete in the ever-changing marketplace. You can do what you want, I know what I am doing.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So when all those formerly good-paying jobs go to India because it's cheaper, who's going to be left to buy the cars and appliances and newspapers here to keep all the smart people who know what they are doing in the chips?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love how the ad now talks about outsourcing your IT needs.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wait till they start outsourcing all the sportsjournalists jobs to bloggers in Kazakhstan

6. Boom_70

Just as a sidebar I've been telling all the Indian telemarketers that call me that I am actually located in Karrachi, Pakastan. It confuses the heck out of them. I tell they called our US number that is actually tie line.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just keep censoring books and records, you redneck pigs . . . you'll NEVER see another NICKEL ONE
    from me.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Awesome.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Boom, yes - employers in Canada contribute both to our Employment Insurance (2.62% of the first $39,000 that an employee makes) and Canada Pension Plan (4.95% of the first $42,100 that an employee makes).

As for who funds Canada's public health system, it's from income taxes (over and above what I described earlier) collected from individuals and corporations.

http://www.medhunters.com/articles/healthcareInCanada.html

How is the healthcare system funded?

A: Canada's healthcare system is funded by both the federal government, and by the provincial and territorial governments. The main source of revenue is taxation, i.e., personal and corporate income taxes (in some provinces, sales tax is also used). Some provinces also charge a yearly healthcare premium based on annual income. In Ontario, for example, an individual with taxable income of C$48,500 (US$40,500) would pay a premium of C$575 (US$480) in the 2005 tax year.

According to World Health Organization (WHO) 2001 statistics, Canada's total expenditure on health as an expenditure of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is 9.5%. This can be compared with 13.9% in the United States and 7.6% in the United Kingdom. And Canada ranks 30th on the WHO's year 2000 report on the cost effectiveness of global healthcare.

Health expenditures in Canada have increased in recent years. In 2000–2001, health expenditures totaled C$97.6 billion (US$81.5 billion), an increase of 7.2% when compared with 1999-2000. The figures given for 2000–2001 amount to C$3,174 (US$2,652) per capita.

The largest part of the government healthcare budget goes to hospitals. As a percentage of overall healthcare spending, spending on prescription drugs has increased in recent years, whereas it has decreased for doctors.

In addition to healthcare premiums, some provinces in Canada have attempted to reduce the burden of healthcare costs by contracting out health services to so-called P3s, or "private-public-partnerships." The institution of P3s has proven to be controversial. Although private companies, P3s continue to be paid for by public funds, and constitute a middle ground between a public and a fully privatized healthcare system. Ontario's provincial government plans to build P3 hospitals in the cities of Ottawa and Brampton, and similar projects are underway in the provinces of British Columbia and Quebec.

Canadians have shown little sympathy for P3s, seeing them as the beginnings of a "two-tier system" of healthcare, where care is based on ability to pay, as opposed to need.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is there gonna be a test?

11. Boom_70

Sea Bass thank you. Your post has answered my question. I was trying to judge in dollars how much Walmart has to pay in to Canada in taxes.

jr - it must be painful to know that whenever you seek medical attention that Walmart in some way is contributing to your well being.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Wal-Mart is somehow responsible for the way JR is today, isn't that another knock against Wal-Mart, Boom?

Draft saved Draft deleted