1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart — Not Evil?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Feb 9, 2009.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So Bentonville puts a crowbar in its wallet in the middle of a Depression and only after years of hectoring and we should throw roses? You're smarter than that.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

No, just some of it, like most companies. But it mostly pays none and then people apply for Medicaid. If you're that big of a corporation and making that much money, you ought to be contributing to your employee health care costs.

3. The bonuses include employee "discounts." And they give bonuses every year.

Taken as a cash value, the $900+ per employee is just about enough money to cover a middling health care plan for a family of four. For 60 days.

4. KG

KG Active Member

OK, I thought you were upset that they didn't pay 100 percent. I mean, don't get me wrong, that would be nice, but it's almost unheard of these days. Half of my husband's is paid for by his employer, but we have to shell out the full amount to have me on there. Same for the future Little G.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Oh yeah, KG, it's gonna get worse and worse as corporations play copycat and try to figure out ways to cut it out entirely. When I started here seven years ago, they paid 100% of the health care. In the two contracts since, they've kept cutting back on that although it's still pretty good. But this year, ours added smoker $150 charge and a $150 charge if your wife/husband/significant other has access to health insurance at their work but chooses to go on yours because it's better coverage. Please bring on single-payer national health care!

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

products made in china are not quality.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but bonus reads so much better in newsprint.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

$2.... Billion

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

ALL HAIL WAL-MART'S BENIFICENCE!

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's $2 billion on worldwide sales of about $400 billion.

Here's a comparable: a small business doing $500,000 that gives out bonuses and discounts to all employees totaling $2500. And remember it also includes staff discounts which can be written off as inventory depreciation.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but let's not get carried away here.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted