1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart — Not Evil?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Feb 9, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Was your dollar really that hard-earned?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

She was large. And in charge. And very wrinkled. Sort of like Roseanne Barr Arnold Barr's grandmother.

Male prostitutin' is hard ...

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Point conceded.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Come to think of it, maybe this should have been on the "Second Jobs" thread.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sing it, sing it.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Welcome to the boards, Fred Garvin.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

My lifelong boycott of Wal-Mart isn't just about its union-busting. Mostly, it's because it refuses to pay health care for its employees while pulling down huge profits and then letting said employees apply for Medicaid so all the rest of us get to pay for their health care through our taxes. See how that works? That's why Wal-Mart has money left over!

8. KG

KG Active Member

Magic, Do you mean you think Wal-Mart should pay 100% of the cost of insurance for its employees?

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I've known several folks who have worked for Wal-Mart... for various reasons not optimal employees. One has some developmental delays and the other a chronically ill child who requires her to take time off sporadically and unpredictably. Both rave about how Wal-Mart works with them, found a position they could handle, gives them hours and always keeps their jobs available.
    Like everything else, shades of gray.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I just posted that they handed out $2 billion in bonuses to hourly employees, and that fact has been skipped altogether.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think Wal-Mart is yet another example of how nothing is ever as simple as "they're evil" or "they're wonderful."

In all my years of buying from Wal-Mart -- out of necessity or convenience -- I have few complaints about the quality of the merchandise. Of course, I refuse to buy my clothing from there, but for groceries (non-meat items) and household stuff, they fit the bill, especially for someone on a single parent's budget.

Draft saved Draft deleted