1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waking up Canadian

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pseudo, Apr 17, 2009.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Okay, SJCanada.ca members, be honest: you're thinking, "Crap, there goes the neighborhood."
    (You're safe on one count, though. My folks moved south in the '80s -- the 1880s -- so I still don't qualify ...)

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Man I wish. The wife's lifelong dream is to immigrate to Canada.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'd emigrate to Canada but it's too damn cold.

4. RickStain

Curling makes it worth it.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

That's fine. We didn't want you anyhow.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Seriously, though, I don't understand why a government would want people who don't live in its country to have citizenship. Maybe it's a human rights thing and they're obligated to inform the public about new rules, but that was a bit much.

7. RickStain

Might I add that we were pretty close to it last year. We had most of the money saved up and were planning on applying by 2011.

Then they changed the immigration rules and she got pregnant, so we decided to put it off.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Too bad, one Canadian grandparent doesn't do it.

I think I've mentioned before that my son wants to be Canadian when he grows up. His bedroom looks remarkably like the after-midnight version of the guy in the commercial.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Methinks this is in an effort to encourage immigration to Canada to offset the severe labour shortages we are suffering in various industries.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's a birthright for those people, just as my American citizenship is for me, even though I've never lived in the U.S.

Nah, we're not a real exclusive club. Anybody with a good heart is welcome. :)

11. RickStain

You were until Harper tightened up the immigration laws. It was going to be soooo easy. The "points system" basically came down to "Speak one of the two languages, have a degree and be under 50 years old."

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not in Vancouver, it's not. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted