1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waiving bye-bye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hankschu, Jan 15, 2009.

1. hankschu

hankschu Member

This was the lede to the A-1 centerpiece story in my local Singleton paper today:

The former BART police officer accused of killing an unarmed man at the Fruitvale train station on New Year's Day waved his extradition right Wednesday and is now in Alameda County awaiting arraignment.

Maybe they should outsource their copyediting to India, where people presumably know the difference between "waved" and "waived."

Funny thing is, it's still up that way on their web site as I write this.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, maybe his right arm has been extradited, so therefore, he could be waving his extradition right.

Maybe?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The "i" was on furlough.

4. hankschu

hankschu Member

Excellent

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the whole SportsJournalists.com site is going to crash if we have a thread on every error that appears in a paper across the country.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

What he said. No offense, Hank ... just a typo. Happens in our biz.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Coda kitty waves his right to extradition.

Sorry, Shot, had to do it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure it's a typo, but it's also bad editing. Figure at least a dozen people at the paper read that story before the button was pushed.

9. hankschu

hankschu Member

Nope. Sorry. I call bullshit on that.

This is the lede on THE top story in our area right now. This was not a deadline story. The court hearing was before lunchtime. This was the centerpiece A-1 story in the paper this morning. Don't know about your shop, but at mine, where we've had three rounds of buyouts in the last three years, even a story that goes inside is read by at least three people, two rimmers plus the slot. On news-side, an ACE would examine it as well. A-1 stories are seen by even more eyes.

Yes, everybody makes mistakes, but to see a mistake of that magnitude in that story to me points to the pitfalls of scaling back on editors, which Mr. Singleton is eager to do and has done at this particular paper.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody think the officer in question would be up on murder charges without the cell phone video? Seems more like manslaughter to me, but I really wonder how much the video changed the way this case was handled.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hank: Did you tell them about the typo?

12. hankschu

hankschu Member

Nope. I'm waiting to see how long they'll let it go on their web site. So far, about 17 hours and counting, including one update to the story. Here's the link, if you want to play along:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/oakland-bart-shooting/ci_11457016/

Draft saved Draft deleted