1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waiting for word from Iraq

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Voodoo Chile, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

I am sure there are other members here with relatives in Iraq who know how nerve-wracking it is when you haven't heard from them in a while.
    My nephew is stationed at Saddam's palace, but today we received a message from a friend of his over there that didn't know where he is and we were able to find out he went on a mission about 24 hours ago. Then we read about attacks that killed four American MPs and wounded three, and there is a photo on the AP wire of an injured soldier on a gurney being wheeled into a hospital. It sort of resembles him, but it's not a good enough picture to be sure, and the part of my nephew's body where he has tattoos are not visible in the photo, so we're not sure it's him.
    He hasn't been online or accessed his My Space page in a couple of days, so we're on edge here waiting for word.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Jesus. Fingers crossed for your nephew.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Echoing Cadet's words. Cannot comprehend the stress you must be under.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Voodoo, the times my brother and now my cousin go back and forth to Iraq, it feels like I can barely breath.
    I wrote about it a little for the NYDN, made me feel a little better.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/2005/05/29/2005-05-29_tillman_legacy_still_hits_ho.html

And while staying at the military base with my sister that year, everytime one of those dark official cars came strolling down the road, I really felt like I was going to throw up all over the lawn. Because those cars were there for only one thing: to tell someone she was now a widow.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've got several friends who are and have been in Iraq. One of them, she's been there for over a year and has had a few close calls during her tour. Another is on his third tour -- voluntarily this time -- and is expecting a baby in a few months, and won't be here for the birth. He is supposed to get here about a month or so later, and may be looking at another trip over there in another year or so.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Amen. Fingers crossed here as well, Voodoo.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

8. KG

KG Active Member

Prayers are going out for your nephew.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe your nephew has just been very busy with his mission or was too exhausted afterward to write?

All the best, Voodoo.

10. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

Thanks for the well wishes, and gingerbread, that was an excellent piece.
    Still no word today. It's true it's not unusual to not hear from him for several days, but it's disconcerting to get messages from other soldiers in Iraq who say they don't know where he is and haven't heard from him. It's also unusual for him to have no activity at all on his bank account, My Space, etc. I just hope he's out on an extended mission where the plans were changed, because his friends said his team was expected back Tuesday night and didn't return.
    What sucks is I know two teams of MPs were attacked, so even if he's ok, then that means somebody else's family isn't, and that makes me sick to my stomach about this whole ordeal.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Ugh. So sorry to hear about this. I can imagine your anguish -- I went through something like this a few years ago with family member. It turned out okay, and I pray that your situation will too. Keep being patient, and remember that sometimes it's really hard for service members over there to get on the internet or make phone calls.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Prayers going out to your nephew, Voodoo.

Draft saved Draft deleted