1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waiting for that new career...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Without a doubt. Unquestionably. That's one possible road I'm hoping to explore after law school - especially if I'm able to eventually add an MBA. I'd prefer to work in professional sports, helping put together teams and running the business side, but I also would like to be a D-1 athletic director.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Some private schools don't require a teaching degree. So if you can sell yourself as a great writer and have some experience with kids, you could be in.

Of course, those schools always pay less, but something is better than nothing.

3. Go State

Go State Member

Valid question. However, I'm working in advertising for magazines. My company is expanding and has offices around the world, so I'm pretty secure. I have no idea how the job security is with advertising for newspapers, but I'm assuming I'm more secure. Valid point.

As far as teaching goes, I know it's pretty easy to get a certificate to be a sub, and from there you can get a job coaching as well, if that interests you. My best friend has been doing it for years, and he's making a very comfortable living.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You don't even need a certificate to sub. Just more than 96 hours, even in some of the real good districts. A few require a degree. Most the time, you gotta know people. And don't think the coaching thing is a safe bet either. Unless you are a teacher in district it is pretty tough to land a secure gig, and even then the money isn't good. Being a head coach or even an assistant with a lot of responsibility is a full time job.

The head track coach I've teamed up with for four out of the last five years just retired because he landed his first full-time teaching gig and can't pull it off anymore. The season is two months out and I'm already stuck making schedules, running two-day a week conditioning practices ordering jerseys and planning the season. And not getting paid for it either. This is all pro bono until the season starts, and even then it's a lump sum check that works out to peanuts when divided by all the hours worked. Even then I might not get paid as the head coach because my work schedule obviously comes first. Besides, since I'm in journalism and not a school teacher, a district employee could come out a day before the season apply for the job and let me go in favor of a new support staff on the spot. So to make this rant short, don't bank on coaching to do anything for you except stress you out.

Rant over.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

Congratulations on security and happiness. Do you work M-F, 9-5, too? Any travel?

6. I'm in that "still employed but wondering about the future" state. Anyway, teaching somehow has emerged in the back of my mind as something to try next. I've just got to figure out how to find the time to go back to school and do what I need to do to teach at the elementary education level -- and then pull the trigger. It's a little scary to take the jump you never thought you'd have to take in your 40s.

Yes, the money isn't great, but hopefully my wife keeps bringing in a decent wage and we find a way to get by. Maybe I freelance along the way to keep my hand in writing. I don't know, I've just had some crazy thoughts recently about wanting to do something where I can make a difference in people's lives or be a help to kids, society, etc. (wow, that was kind of corny, but I don't always feel that way covering football games and writing features on second-string cornerbacks).

My only other thought was to go back to school and get my accounting degree, which very easily could have been the route I traveled had I not changed majors after three semesters at State U.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wonder what the requirements are to teach journalism in high school?

I looked into it in one state a few years ago and decided there were too many hoops to jump through for a job where the average starting salary (statewide) was less than what I was making in journalism at the time.

However, if I could go someplace ---- and I'm totally open to relocating to the right places, cause it's a given i am going to have to do it anyway ---- and do it without major schooling time and expense, I'd certainly consider it.

Draft saved Draft deleted